ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   The Ed & Dave Lounge (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.* (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268371)

penguinz 01-02-2013 01:41 PM

*.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.*
 
Welcome to 2013! Now get your ass in top physical condition!

**From the 2012 Thread**

If you want to get back into lifting, or need a new lifting routine, START HERE:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

If you have questions about the SS programs, look here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Keep in mind that you're a novice lifter for a longer period of time than you think you are. Novice lifting can last anywhere from a few months to a year or two, depending on how hard you hit the weights and where you started.

Once you've reached the point where you don't make regular progress on the SS program, you are ready to move on to the intermediate stage, which can last you for a good number of years. Find it HERE:

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

If you're a very advanced lifter (many, many years of CONSISTENT weight training), then there are lot of programs out there, and which one you pick is simply a matter of preference. If you're really that advanced, you should know what works for you and what doesn't by this point.

petegz28 01-02-2013 01:48 PM

Getting back into the fitness gig after tweaking my back several months ago. It's amazing how quickly you get out of shape.

However the first decision I made was to switch gyms. The YMCA is charging me $89 a month for 2 people. I am going to take a look at Aspen Athletics tomorrow where they charge $40 a month for 2 people and have better hours.

penguinz 01-02-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9269061)
Getting back into the fitness gig after tweaking my back several months ago. It's amazing how quickly you get out of shape.

However the first decision I made was to switch gyms. The YMCA is charging me $89 a month for 2 people. I am going to take a look at Aspen Athletics tomorrow where they charge $40 a month for 2 people and have better hours.

They should have better equipment as well.

DBOSHO 01-02-2013 01:52 PM

Im a member of anytime fitness but ive been to aspen as a guest. Its very nice. If i didnt live 5 minutes from anytime id consider switching.

The one in liberty had probably 50 cardio machines, plenty of freeweights and a sauna.

Silock 01-02-2013 05:12 PM

It felt good to get back in the gym this week. I had a month off between vacation, getting the flu, and then being out of town over Christmas. I managed to squeeze in a few soccer games in December, but didn't lift at all.

I'm sore as hell right now, but in a good way.

lewdog 01-02-2013 06:31 PM

I am working my way back to a 400lb sumo deadlift and 350lb squat after my last hip injury while maintaining 185-190lb bodyweight. So far singles at 385 and 330 with no lasting hip pain. Hope this pain free hip lasts in 2013!

ThaVirus 01-06-2013 05:56 PM

My normal workout would usually last around 1 hour and 15 minutes or so. I'd start off with a mile run on the treadmill at 9 mph (around 6 minutes 40 seconds) before moving on to either upper or lower body weight lifting. For a while now I've been dealing with some pretty sharp pain in my knees so I know its likely to be a chronic thing.

Anyway, I don't have health insurance so getting them checked out is a no go; but I've recently switched to using the elliptical instead of the treadmill for my pre-workout cardio. I have to say its probably the best decision I could have made. I don't have any more issues with the stress of pounding my knees from running and don't dread my cardio any longer.

I'm pretty young at 23 and don't ever remember having (serious) knee problems until about a year or so ago. The worst 'injury' I've ever experienced was a pulled muscle back in high school. Never had a broken bone, torn ligament or anything of that nature as far as I'm aware. Has anyone dealt with this before or have any ideas as to what I could be dealing with?

unnecessary drama 01-06-2013 05:59 PM

I try and hit the gym every day and so far it has felt real good. I do about 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of lifting every day. Planet Fitness at $10 a month FTW

Buehler445 01-06-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9289888)
My normal workout would usually last around 1 hour and 15 minutes or so. I'd start off with a mile run on the treadmill at 9 mph (around 6 minutes 40 seconds) before moving on to either upper or lower body weight lifting. For a while now I've been dealing with some pretty sharp pain in my knees so I know its likely to be a chronic thing.

Anyway, I don't have health insurance so getting them checked out is a no go; but I've recently switched to using the elliptical instead of the treadmill for my pre-workout cardio. I have to say its probably the best decision I could have made. I don't have any more issues with the stress of pounding my knees from running and don't dread my cardio any longer.

I'm pretty young at 23 and don't ever remember having (serious) knee problems until about a year or so ago. The worst 'injury' I've ever experienced was a pulled muscle back in high school. Never had a broken bone, torn ligament or anything of that nature as far as I'm aware. Has anyone dealt with this before or have any ideas as to what I could be dealing with?

Might give a chiropractor a try. They helped me out some with a knee problem. If it is all out of alignment, it can give your knee hell. Cheapest would by try new shoes. If they're wore out, they can be hard on your knees.

at 9 miles per day, you can go through shoes pretty quickly.

Buehler445 01-06-2013 06:03 PM

Good god. I wish I could get into a gym for that cheap. The one here is $75/month PER PERSON. That's a big no go.

Spott 01-06-2013 06:17 PM

I've been at Planet Fitness for $10.00 a month for the last 16 months. Once they started opening up around town the other ones became cheaper, too.

unnecessary drama 01-06-2013 06:34 PM

not only is it $10 a month and a MASSIVE gym, BUT there is a pizza party every first Monday of the month...which just so happens to be tomorrow! YES! YES! YES!

Red Beans 01-06-2013 06:39 PM

I run three miles on my lunch everyday that I'm at work. That's about all. Occasionally, I use the undersized gym that's provided free of charged by my employer, but that's usually only when the weather drives me indoors.

I've got a pretty fast metabolism, but damn if that three mile jaunt doesn't make me eat like a ****ing bear.

Red Beans 01-06-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9289903)
Might give a chiropractor a try. They helped me out some with a knee problem. If it is all out of alignment, it can give your knee hell. Cheapest would by try new shoes. If they're wore out, they can be hard on your knees.

at 9 miles per day, you can go through shoes pretty quickly.

It's the shoes.

NewChief 01-06-2013 06:50 PM

I'm rocking it so far this year. I have a 24 kg kettlebell at home now, so I do a lot of my workout here. Enjoying a lot of crossfit/movnat type stuff using trees for pull-ups and muscle ups, my kids' new trampoline for cardio, sprints on the streets, kettlebell for swings, snatches, and presses as well as push ups and such just enjoying getting creative and working out at odd, flexible times.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.