ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Laptop shopping (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268669)

KevB 01-09-2013 10:14 AM

Laptop shopping
 
I've been shopping for a laptop, and came across one with an SSD as it's primary drive. I haven't shopped computers in quite a while, so quite a learning curve. I didn't realize SSD made the difference that it does until reading all of the various reviews. It also has a great processor, 1080P IPS display, solid and light construction, and a great price to specs ratio IMO ($799 at the Microsoft Store). Cons are the keyboard (according to reviews), light on RAM and not really upgradeable, integrated graphics and weak battery life.

My usage : for typical around the house type work. Light spreadsheet word processing, e-mail, internet, watching movies, etc. It won't really be a gaming laptop at all, so integrated graphics seem ok. The SSD drive will make it quick enough that the RAM should suffice I'd think. And it will mostly be confined to the house, so lack of battery horsepower shouldn't be much of a big deal. What say you computer nerds?

Vizio CT15-A5

HC_Chief 01-09-2013 10:19 AM

Why not get a tablet? Everything you mentioned can be done on a Surface, for $300 less.

KevB 01-09-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief (Post 9299670)
Why not get a tablet? Everything you mentioned can be done on a Surface, for $300 less.

My wife uses for work, and she would like the typical form factor of a laptop with the larger screen. We have an iPad, so don't necessarily need another tablet in the house for people to fight over. We're replacing a desktop with the laptop in question.

siberian khatru 01-09-2013 10:42 AM

I'd like to piggyback on this thread, if KevB doesn't mind, and ask opinions:

My oldest son will be heading off to college in August (*sniff*) and he needs a laptop (or equivalent) for school. Something to carry around campus in his backpack, write papers on ... the usual stuff.

What specs should I be looking for? What's a good, affordable machine that doesn't weigh too much and won't cost me $1,000+ (so no Macbooks, please).

Virtua Chief 01-09-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9299779)
I'd like to piggyback on this thread, if KevB doesn't mind, and ask opinions:

My oldest son will be heading off to college in August (*sniff*) and he needs a laptop (or equivalent) for school. Something to carry around campus in his backpack, write papers on ... the usual stuff.

What specs should I be looking for? What's a good, affordable machine that doesn't weigh too much and won't cost me $1,000+ (so no Macbooks, please).

For writing papers and email, if he can work with Google docs and Google apps, the Samsung chromebook looks pretty awesome at $250.

KevB 01-09-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9299779)
I'd like to piggyback on this thread, if KevB doesn't mind, and ask opinions:

My oldest son will be heading off to college in August (*sniff*) and he needs a laptop (or equivalent) for school. Something to carry around campus in his backpack, write papers on ... the usual stuff.

What specs should I be looking for? What's a good, affordable machine that doesn't weigh too much and won't cost me $1,000+ (so no Macbooks, please).

We're looking at similar machines, so not a problem.

WilliamTheIrish 01-09-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

My oldest son will be heading off to college in August (*sniff*)
Wait until he graduates. It's a great feeling. And with it comes the difficulty of letting go a little more. My oldest graduated from Washburn, the UCONN and now lives 1600 miles away.

It's the strangest thing to be a bit player (that's how I feel, not really the case) in the life you helped mold.

WilliamTheIrish 01-09-2013 11:33 AM

And the Chromebook would be perfect for him.

DaveNull 01-09-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

The SSD drive will make it quick enough that the RAM should suffice I'd think.
You're right. If you need something with a more beefy processor or more RAM, you likely know. The battery is a bit of a bummer since SSDs usually make big battery life easier since there are fewer moving parts.

@SK You want to buy your son something that is going to be reliable and is easy to support. You don't know what he's going to end up majoring in, so don't tie him down to some kind of janky chromebook or tablet unless he wants that. I'd recommend a mac...a used mac if cost is an issue. The reason is that it can run any OS so if he decides to do computer science he'll be all set with a Unix box.

Other than that, whatever you do DONT send him down with a printer. He or you will be paying for ink and paper for a whole floor of freshmen.

siberian khatru 01-09-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 9300081)
You're right. If you need something with a more beefy processor or more RAM, you likely know. The battery is a bit of a bummer since SSDs usually make big battery life easier since there are fewer moving parts.

@SK You want to buy your son something that is going to be reliable and is easy to support. You don't know what he's going to end up majoring in, so don't tie him down to some kind of janky chromebook or tablet unless he wants that. I'd recommend a mac...a used mac if cost is an issue. The reason is that it can run any OS so if he decides to do computer science he'll be all set with a Unix box.

Other than that, whatever you do DONT send him down with a printer. He or you will be paying for ink and paper for a whole floor of freshmen.


Thanks.

I'm pretty sure he won't be majoring in STEM. :) But point(s) taken nonetheless (esp. about the printer ... hadn't thought of that).

[Edit: Never mind ... found answer to what I asked at the university's website.]


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.