ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Anyone ever own a pet lizard/reptile? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268702)

Richard_Cuckold 01-10-2013 12:07 AM

Anyone ever own a pet lizard/reptile?
 
Growing up I owned a good amount of reptiles (turtles, iguanas, anoles etc) but that was when I was a kid.

I'm now approaching 30 and looking to get a new pet(s). I've considered getting a dog or cat but thats sorta cliche and kinda wanna get a cool lizard.

I'm thinking either a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon. I've read up on both of them and they seem like they would be pretty easy to take care of. The downside to a bearded dragon is that they get huge and eat a TON. But the upside is that they are friendly/docile creatures that like human interaction.

Leopard Geckos dont eat as much and are also docile/friendly but they are nocturnal and usually only come out at night(spend most of their days hiding/sleeping)

Has anyone here owned a gecko or bearded dragon? Any advice would be great! THanks

Phobia 01-10-2013 12:11 AM

There's a reason dogs and cats are cliche. They're good pets. If you want to avoid then buy a sabertooth tiger. If you want a loyal pet that is easy to care for, get a dog. Don't not buy a dog simply because a lot of people own them. If you want a dog then get a dog.

Silock 01-10-2013 12:15 AM

Lizards are awful pets. They are okay to look at, but they don't appreciate you like a furry pet does.

My leopard gecko was a little bitch. Never warmed up to being handled, and was always hiding. I adopted him out.

Sorter 01-10-2013 12:23 AM

Asfar as my personal herp experiences go:

LP geckos are easy to take care of generally friendly but can be less than enthused, and are rather easy pets. Won't typically bite or be fussy in terms of eating.

As for bearded dragons:

Much smarter than people give them credit for. Can seem rather lethargic at times but they also go crazy.



If you're truly interested in a lizard and don't have many limitations, I'd reccommend a Black-Throat Monitor. Exceptionally docile, smart, loyal, and are truly breathtaking once you've raised one. They get a bt large so if you have other pets it can be a problem. However, they can be trained to an extent, are pretty dam smart as far as monitors go, and are docile to boot. Pretty cool lizards.


For the love of god, don't get a Croc monitor. Those ****ers are nasty, bitey, and their teeth are wicked. I had a guy tell me a story once about how he nearly bled out from a 3 month old from a bite to the wrist. They're aggressive, easily agitated, and generally regarded as pricks. Black throat monitors, not at all IMO

Bump 01-10-2013 12:29 AM

I had a roommate.
His roommates moved out a few months before I moved in.
The old roommate left behind a snake.
My old roommates scared of snakes.
I moved in and there is a snake in a cage in the living room.
It was mad as ****.
Because it was hungry.
My old roommate scared of snakes.
Never fed it.
I went to the damn pet store to buy live mice.
That thing bit me when I opened the cage to feed it.
I screamed like a bitch.
Then I regained composure and fed the damn thing.

Snakes should not be pets people! They certainly should not be.

Saccopoo 01-10-2013 12:29 AM

I watched my brother's Nile Moniter tear apart baby chickens piece by piece. Blood and feathers and squealing...

And he made his kids watch the feedings.

They are pretty ****ed up kids now.

So, yeah, go get a reptile.

I hear they are really cuddlely and cute and you can take them for walks and they'll do tricks for treats and all that fun shit.

Sorter 01-10-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9302134)
I had a roommate.
His roommates moved out a few months before I moved in.
The old roommate left behind a snake.
My old roommates scared of snakes.
I moved in and there is a snake in a cage in the living room.
It was mad as ****.
Because it was hungry.
My old roommate scared of snakes.
Never fed it.
I went to the damn pet store to buy live mice.
That thing bit me when I opened the cage to feed it.
I screamed like a bitch.
Then I regained composure and fed the damn thing.

Snakes should not be pets people! They certainly should not be.

I disagree. I've had plenty of snakes both wild caught and bred that were excellent pets.

Bump 01-10-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302136)
I disagree. I've had plenty of snakes both wild caught and bred that were excellent pets.

really? Did you guys form a bond? I just felt bad for that thing man, it was small ass cage, it's not right in that situation. I don't know what yours is though.

Sorter 01-10-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9302135)
I watched my brother's Nile Moniter tear apart baby chickens piece by piece. Blood and feathers and squealing...

And he made his kids watch the feedings.

They are pretty ****ed up kids now.

So, yeah, go get a reptile.

I hear they are really cuddlely and cute and you can take them for walks and they'll do tricks for treats and all that fun shit.

You can do that shit with a Black-Throat. Not a nile. JFC, what was your bro thinking? ROFL


Seriously, Nile's have a nasty temperament. Do not want.

If you're getting a monitor, you go black-throat or svannah unless you're doing studies and they aren't pets.

cosmo20002 01-10-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Harrow (Post 9302100)
Growing up I owned a good amount of reptiles (turtles, iguanas, anoles etc) but that was when I was a kid.

I'm now approaching 30 and looking to get a new pet(s). I've considered getting a dog or cat but thats sorta cliche and kinda wanna get a cool lizard.

Has anyone here owned a gecko or bearded dragon? Any advice would be great! THanks


A guy I knew had a couple of lizards and after awhile he couldn't "get it up," if you know what I mean. Dr. said he was suffering from a reptile dysfunction.

Sorter 01-10-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9302137)
really? Did you guys form a bond? I just felt bad for that thing man, it was small ass cage, it's not right in that situation. I don't know what yours is though.

The times I kept snakes, I had an oversized cage that mixed both artificial sand, branches, and living vegetation. Additionally, I didn't typically keep them for very long as most were WC (wild-caught). I'll say that all of the kings, milks, rat snakes, and most racers warmed up pretty quickly. However, I didn't keep them for more than 3 weeks.

The hots I caught (copperheads) actually warmed up fairly quickly, which was surprising to me. They were fine with me free handling them to an extent ( limited persons in the room, no noise, etc).

Bump 01-10-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9302140)
A guy I knew had a couple of lizards and after awhile he couldn't "get it up," if you know what I mean. Dr. said he was suffering from a reptile dysfunction.

What do you call a lizard that sings for Bad Boy Records?

A Rap-tile

Bump 01-10-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302142)
The times I kept snakes, I had an oversized cage that mixed both artificial sand, branches, and living vegetation. Additionally, I didn't typically keep them for very long as most were WC (wild-caught). I'll say that all of the kings, milks, rat snakes, and most racers warmed up pretty quickly. However, I didn't keep them for more than 3 weeks.

The hots I caught (copperheads) actually warmed up fairly quickly, which was surprising to me. They were fine with me free handling them to an extent ( limited persons in the room, no noise, etc).

damn, you have bigger balls than I do free handing a copperhead

CrazyPhuD 01-10-2013 12:39 AM

I have a pet trouser snake does that count? :shrug:

(come on someone had to say it! This place be slippin!)

Munson 01-10-2013 12:43 AM

Lot lizards don't make great pets. LMAO


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.