ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   The Ed & Dave Lounge (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Wireless Surveillance Cameras (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268791)

ChiefButthurt 01-12-2013 05:35 AM

Wireless Surveillance Cameras
 
Has anyone recently purchased wireless cameras for outdoor surveillance around your house? I found this site and I'm getting ready to buy a couple of cameras and thought I would check with you guys first.

http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

Any recommendations?

I'll catch that UPS guy next time. :harumph:

I know the mods will want to move this to Media...gimmee a break alright?

Bwana 01-12-2013 06:44 AM

I know when a buddy of mine was back for Christmas, he was checking our some of his construction areas back home on his iPhone at night. It was a decent picture and he could move the camera around with his phone to look around the area.

He said he got a dirt cheap package from this outfit.

http://foscam.us/

crazycoffey 01-12-2013 07:14 AM

if you can see it on the web, I'd be worried the instalers would be able to see it too

theelusiveeightrop 01-12-2013 07:19 AM

My system is closed circuit. Local company did the installing. Records in a 4 day loop. Pricey, but gotta protect the family with multiple layers of security.

rockymtnchief 01-12-2013 07:23 AM

Do your homework. I've seen some that block your wireless signal from your internet router. (assuming you have a wireless)

Bwana 01-12-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 9307645)
Do your homework. I've seen some that block your wireless signal from your internet router. (assuming you have a wireless)

I want to get a wireless outdoor package with 4 camera's that I can view from a smart phone and records when it detects motion, any ideas?

rockymtnchief 01-12-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9307653)
I want to get a wireless outdoor package with 4 camera's that I can view from a smart phone and records when it detects motion, any ideas?

I wish I could steer you the right direction, buddy. My only experience is trouble shooting the internet troubles AFTER the the camera install.

Quote:

The most common wireless technology, 802.11g (wireless-G), operates at a frequency of 2.4 gigahertz (GHz). Many cordless phones, microwave ovens, baby monitors, garage door openers, and other wireless electronics also use this frequency. If you use these wireless devices in your home, your computer might not be able to "hear" your router over the noise coming from them.

If your network uses wireless-G, you can quiet the noise by avoiding wireless electronics that use the 2.4 GHz frequency. Instead, look for cordless phones and other devices that use the 5.8 GHz or 900 megahertz (MHz) frequencies. Because 802.11n (wireless-N) operates at both 2.4 GHz and the less frequently used 5.0 GHz frequency, you may experience less interference on your network if you use this technology.

Bwana 01-12-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 9307667)
I wish I could steer you the right direction, buddy. My only experience is trouble shooting the internet troubles AFTER the the camera install.

Hmmm, well this is going to be a bit harder than I thought then. Thanks for explaining the situation. I do need to figure this out and get this done. :banghead:

DaFace 01-12-2013 08:01 AM

Mostly for fun, I got a Foscam FI8910W for Christmas. They run about $90 each, so it's a pretty cheap solution. It works well, but you have to be reasonably techie to set it up since you'll have to mess with the ports it uses and port forwarding on your router to get it working.

The only thing I'll say to look out for is that many of the IP cameras function fine, but their software is very limited. Given that mine is just for fun, I hooked it up with a little site called Mangocam and use that to just record pics for a bit when motion is detected. There are subscription-based sites out there that can handle long-term recordings and that kind of thing.

If you're wanting to run multiple cameras and have them recording all the time, you might want to consider software to run on a local desktop computer rather than uploading to the cloud. These things take up quite a bit of bandwidth, so they can drag your internet connection down pretty badly if you're not careful.

If you happen to look seriously, I can give you access to mine for a bit so you can check it out and see how it works. Here's a pic of my cats just so you can see the quality.

TribalElder 01-12-2013 08:06 AM

I have personally owned the x10 stuff along with other solutions. X10 is cheap and works kinda. No kind of protection so anyone with an x10 video receiver can pick up the signal when they tune in to a-h along with. The number. They are cheap and kinda cool . I used to have the things where I could control the lights and the cameras from the tv remote.

3rd&48ers 01-12-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9307675)
Hmmm, well this is going to be a bit harder than I thought then. Thanks for explaining the situation. I do need to figure this out and get this done. :banghead:


I have been looking for affordable ones that are good forever... Remember, some of those so called outside cams will only see about 15 feet in the dark ... Choose wisely and lets experiment with your money before I take my wallet out LMAO

Bwana 01-12-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9307677)
Mostly for fun, I got a Foscam FI8910W for Christmas. They run about $90 each, so it's a pretty cheap solution. It works well, but you have to be reasonably techie to set it up since you'll have to mess with the ports it uses and port forwarding on your router to get it working.

The only thing I'll say to look out for is that many of the IP cameras function fine, but their software is very limited. Given that mine is just for fun, I hooked it up with a little site called Mangocam and use that to just record pics for a bit when motion is detected. There are subscription-based sites out there that can handle long-term recordings and that kind of thing.

If you're wanting to run multiple cameras and have them recording all the time, you might want to consider software to run on a local desktop computer rather than uploading to the cloud. These things take up quite a bit of bandwidth, so they can drag your internet connection down pretty badly if you're not careful.

If you happen to look seriously, I can give you access to mine for a bit so you can check it out and see how it works. Here's a pic of my cats just so you can see the quality.

Thanks for the post Faceman. From what you and RMC are saying, there is a lot more to this than I expected and I need to get an expert involved.

If I'm going to build a system, I want the darn thing to work. I don't want it being a pain in the tail, Mickey Mouse setup. I would rather step up a little bit on the system and have it work.

3rd&48ers 01-12-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9307677)
Mostly for fun, I got a Foscam FI8910W for Christmas. They run about $90 each, so it's a pretty cheap solution. It works well, but you have to be reasonably techie to set it up since you'll have to mess with the ports it uses and port forwarding on your router to get it working.

The only thing I'll say to look out for is that many of the IP cameras function fine, but their software is very limited. Given that mine is just for fun, I hooked it up with a little site called Mangocam and use that to just record pics for a bit when motion is detected. There are subscription-based sites out there that can handle long-term recordings and that kind of thing.

If you're wanting to run multiple cameras and have them recording all the time, you might want to consider software to run on a local desktop computer rather than uploading to the cloud. These things take up quite a bit of bandwidth, so they can drag your internet connection down pretty badly if you're not careful.

If you happen to look seriously, I can give you access to mine for a bit so you can check it out and see how it works. Here's a pic of my cats just so you can see the quality.

I just knew you were a cat person

Bwana 01-12-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9307693)
I have been looking for affordable ones that are good forever... Remember, some of those so called outside cams will only see about 15 feet in the dark ... Choose wisely and lets experiment with your money before I take my wallet out LMAO

You're still looking dude? Hell, I figured you would have used a pry bar to get that wallet out of your back pocket by now and been able to give me some product results. I was getting ready to send you a PM. :hmmm:

3rd&48ers 01-12-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9307704)
You're still looking dude? Hell, I figured you would have used a pry bar to get that wallet out of your back pocket by now and been able to give me some product results. I was getting ready to send you a PM. :hmmm:

I have no idea about these models but this are the kind I would like for outside

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

check amazon and the reviews I guess

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=14241151


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.