ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   General Politics The US Government (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268950)

Ebolapox 01-15-2013 11:11 PM

The US Government

Just a simple question that came to me on the drive home today. there are a lot of ways of looking at this and I expect that everybody will hash/rehash them ad nausea.

Is the US Government, in the way it's currently being run, fundamentally broken? If no, no response is really needed.
If yes, what are the potential LONG-TERM issues that stem from this? Not just the obvious nut-job answers of APOCALYPSE AND DEATH AND DESTRUCTION, though it's not unheard of for 'empires' to fall. Thoughts?

Also--if it IS broken, is there anything WE can do to fix it, considering that a LOT of the voting populace (and the population at large) are ****ing idiots? (and no, I don't just speak of those who agree/disagree with me--I'm talking about the ones that have given way to complacency.

LiveSteam 01-15-2013 11:22 PM

Not only is broke. Its doing its best to pit people against one another. The hatred of one American towards another American that has different views is off the charts.

KILLER_CLOWN 01-15-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 9323088)
Not only is broke. Its doing its best to pit people against one another. The hatred of one American towards another American that has different views is off the charts.

FU!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh wait...I don't hate. :D

chefs fan in omaha 01-16-2013 06:11 AM

We have a president that encourages class warfare, who could change people's attitudes if he wanted.

As for the divided house and senate, it is working perfectly.

CoMoChief 01-16-2013 06:26 AM

Why not make this a public poll.

Becuase I'd like to see the moron(s) that voted no

Direckshun 01-16-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 9323041)
Is the US Government, in the way it's currently being run, fundamentally broken? If no, no response is really needed.
If yes, what are the potential LONG-TERM issues that stem from this?

I don't know what "broken" means in the way you're using it.

If you're meaning it is politically dysfunctional, I'd disagree technically but agree that it could be a hell of a lot more functional.

By the way -- if you don't think the government isn't "broken," whatever that means, doesn't mean you don't think a response to make it function better is needed.

Predarat 01-16-2013 08:25 AM

Easy yes.

LiveSteam 01-16-2013 08:32 AM

If you dnt have a job. & you sit in DC all day starting threads. Of course you are going to vote No.
Like I need public poll to know which 4 voted no.

Ebolapox 01-16-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9323548)
I don't know what "broken" means in the way you're using it.

I'm using it in the broadest sense possible so that it's open to interpretation. however, I tend to use broken in the sense that it needs to be fixed.

BigMeatballDave 01-16-2013 08:51 AM

Direckshun dreams of having a government bigger than the Sun.

Bwana 01-16-2013 08:58 AM

It is FUBAR.

CoMoChief 01-16-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9323669)
Direckshun dreams of having a government bigger than the Sun.

ROFL no shit man

notorious 01-16-2013 09:16 AM

Government is like a meth addiction: It's going to have to either die, or hit rock bottom before we can rebuild.

Direckshun 01-16-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 9323637)
I'm using it in the broadest sense possible so that it's open to interpretation. however, I tend to use broken in the sense that it needs to be fixed.

I would agree that it needs to be fixed in a lot of ways. But I don't think that means it's dysfunctional.

When Bush's 2nd term was up in 2008, he walked out of the Oval Office. He didn't bunker in, he didn't declare democracy bankrupt, he didn't kill Americans who wanted to remove him from office. Obamacare was passed with large majorities in both chambers who were legitimately elected to office by the people, it was trimmed by judicial review, and will be implemented by the Executive branch.

A dysfunctional government, to my mind, would be in the form of Iran's or Syria's.

Ours is functional and healthy -- but there's a shit ton I'd do to fix it.

Bump 01-16-2013 12:22 PM

america is no longer the great country it once was. The republicans just want to use god and get rich, the dems just want to control everybody and get rich. It's pretty much all about getting themselves rich. It's the most corrupt shit ever and whenever someone calls it out, you just call them batshit crazy and with that in mind, nothing can or will be done because most people believe everything is fine and dandy.