ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Bears hire new head coach (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268960)

milkman 01-16-2013 08:11 AM

Bears hire new head coach
 
Oh......Hugh Janus

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...9&postcount=25

Marc Trestman the Bears new coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...4315--nfl.html

Tell me how no team is talking to Marc Trestman again Hugh.


Props to DeBerg for the news and link.

KCtotheSB 01-16-2013 08:22 AM

CANADIAN FOOTBALL!!!!!

Deberg_1990 01-16-2013 08:29 AM

This is the most intriguing hire of them all IMO. At first glance, your like "Huh, what?"

But then you dig into his resume and its solid. Hes had success with alot of different QBs and coaches.

KILLER_CLOWN 01-16-2013 08:33 AM

Cassel to Chicago, yup.

Johnny Vegas 01-16-2013 08:37 AM

finally. I was worried both of you were going to be wrong.

KCChiefsFan88 01-16-2013 08:37 AM

This best describes the Bears decision to hire Trestman. No need to add anything further:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...zzling-at-best


The Bears' hire of Marc Trestman puzzling, at best

By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider

The last time Marc Trestman coached in the NFL was almost nine years ago, for one season with the Miami Dolphins. He has spent the past five years with the franchise known for churning out dozens of coaching legends that dominate the NFL. You know the franchise: The Montreal Alouettes.

So he's been away from the NFL for almost a decade. He has coached in an inferior football system for the past five in a country more known for hockey and syrup than football. And he's the hire for the Chicago Bears? Wow.

It's absolutely stunning than an NFL team would hire Trestman. Anyone can rack up huge offensive numbers coaching in Canada. They don't play defense and the field is 700 yards wide. Anyone can coach a team to a Grey Cup. My grandma could coach in the Grey Cup. In fact, I'm pretty sure my grandma has coached in the Grey Cup. Don't get me wrong. I love the CFL. I love Canada. I LOVE CANADA! I just don't believe someone who has been coaching there for five years and out of the NFL for almost twice that time is a solid NFL head coaching hire.

The Bears hired Trestman thinking he can fix Jay Cutler when Cutler is unfixable. Cutler always will be up and down, great one minute -- throwing multiple picks the next. Nothing is going to change that. Cutler never will be an elite thrower because his head isn't screwed on right. Unless Trestman is a therapist or hypnotist Cutler will be Cutler.

Cutler is a coach killer and Trestman is next up on the chopping block.

Trestman's website says some of the quarterbacks he's coached include Brock Osweiler, Brandon Weeden, Jimmy Clausen, Jason Campbell and -- wait for it -- Tim Tebow.

That's a stellar lineup. What, no Ryan Leaf?

Steve Young says he worked with Trestman in mid-1990s and called him a brilliant offensive mind. That's quite an endorsement, but Young probably was being more polite than anything. If Trestman is so brilliant, why was the Montreal Alouettes' gig the only head coaching job he was offered before the Bears?

And again, he worked with Young in the 1990s. In the NFL universe, that was eons ago. That was the Pleistocene Age.

Where Trestman can prove me wrong is if he follows the Marv Levy career path. Levy spent four years coaching the Alouettes before becoming the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. But then again, Levy is one of the more brilliant coaching minds in NFL history, and he was still eventually fired by the Chiefs.

This Bears hire isn't only risky. It's head-shaking and not in a good way.

KCChiefsFan88 01-16-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9323716)
Oh......Hugh Janus

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...9&postcount=25

Marc Trestman the Bears new coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...4315--nfl.html

Tell me how no team is talking to Marc Trestman again Hugh.


Props to DeBerg for the news and link.

When Trestman fails in Chicago, Milkjizz will try to hide from his support of Trestman as a HC candidate.

milkman 01-16-2013 08:41 AM

Doesn't matter what some other asshat thinks of the hire.

You were wrong.

Brock 01-16-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Janus (Post 9323780)
When Trestman fails in Chicago, Milkjizz will try to hide from his support of Trestman as a HC candidate.

Like you hide from your support of "Fat Scott" as a GM candidate?

milkman 01-16-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Janus (Post 9323780)
When Trestman fails in Chicago, Milkjizz will try to hide from his support of Trestman as a HC candidate.

I have never hidden from my mistakes.

I liked Mark Sanchez coming out.
I didn't like Drew Brees coming out.

I thought Bellichik was a stupid hire by the Patriots.

I am not afraid to own my mistakes, but I have been right far more than I have been wrong.

And the fact that Trestman learned from one of the best offensive minds in NFL history, and then succeeded on a league that is wide open offensively, and the NFL has evolved into a wide open offense league suggests that he has the tools to succeed.

Deberg_1990 01-16-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Janus (Post 9323777)
This best describes the Bears decision to hire Trestman. No need to add anything further:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...zzling-at-best


The Bears' hire of Marc Trestman puzzling, at best

By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider

The last time Marc Trestman coached in the NFL was almost nine years ago, for one season with the Miami Dolphins. He has spent the past five years with the franchise known for churning out dozens of coaching legends that dominate the NFL. You know the franchise: The Montreal Alouettes.

So he's been away from the NFL for almost a decade. He has coached in an inferior football system for the past five in a country more known for hockey and syrup than football. And he's the hire for the Chicago Bears? Wow.

It's absolutely stunning than an NFL team would hire Trestman. Anyone can rack up huge offensive numbers coaching in Canada. They don't play defense and the field is 700 yards wide. Anyone can coach a team to a Grey Cup. My grandma could coach in the Grey Cup. In fact, I'm pretty sure my grandma has coached in the Grey Cup. Don't get me wrong. I love the CFL. I love Canada. I LOVE CANADA! I just don't believe someone who has been coaching there for five years and out of the NFL for almost twice that time is a solid NFL head coaching hire.

The Bears hired Trestman thinking he can fix Jay Cutler when Cutler is unfixable. Cutler always will be up and down, great one minute -- throwing multiple picks the next. Nothing is going to change that. Cutler never will be an elite thrower because his head isn't screwed on right. Unless Trestman is a therapist or hypnotist Cutler will be Cutler.

Cutler is a coach killer and Trestman is next up on the chopping block.

Trestman's website says some of the quarterbacks he's coached include Brock Osweiler, Brandon Weeden, Jimmy Clausen, Jason Campbell and -- wait for it -- Tim Tebow.

That's a stellar lineup. What, no Ryan Leaf?

Steve Young says he worked with Trestman in mid-1990s and called him a brilliant offensive mind. That's quite an endorsement, but Young probably was being more polite than anything. If Trestman is so brilliant, why was the Montreal Alouettes' gig the only head coaching job he was offered before the Bears?

And again, he worked with Young in the 1990s. In the NFL universe, that was eons ago. That was the Pleistocene Age.

Where Trestman can prove me wrong is if he follows the Marv Levy career path. Levy spent four years coaching the Alouettes before becoming the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. But then again, Levy is one of the more brilliant coaching minds in NFL history, and he was still eventually fired by the Chiefs.

This Bears hire isn't only risky. It's head-shaking and not in a good way.

I do agree with this guy about Cutler. He is what he is. Hes a finished product already. Hes in that same boat as Rivers, Romo, Schaub by holding their teams in some sort of football purgatory. They are all ok, but their ceiling has been reached. Teams dont want to risk dumping them for fear of getting stuck with someting worse.

htismaqe 01-16-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9323795)
And the fact that Trestman learned from one of the best offensive minds in NFL history

Marty?

:evil:

htismaqe 01-16-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9323801)
I do agree with this guy about Cutler. He is what he is. Hes a finished product already. Hes in that same boat as Rivers, Romo, Schaub by holding their teams in some sort of football purgatory. They are all ok, but their ceiling has been reached. Teams dont want to risk dumping them for fear of getting stuck with someting worse.

Yep.

Until they get rid of Cutler, they won't be a great team.

-King- 01-16-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9323758)
This is the most intriguing hire of them all IMO. At first glance, your like "Huh, what?"

But then you dig into his resume and its solid.

It is?

Quote:

Hes had success with alot of different QBs and coaches.
He has?

Here's his resume:

http://i.imgur.com/ajvrW.jpg

How is that solid by any stretch of the imagination? The guy has bounced around more than anybody I've seen. His only successful stint was with the Raiders for 2 years.

-King- 01-16-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9323795)
And the fact that Trestman learned from one of the best offensive minds in NFL history, and then succeeded on a league that is wide open offensively, and the NFL has evolved into a wide open offense league suggests that he has the tools to succeed.

Just because a league is wide open offensively doesn't mean that it translates to the NFL. Arena league is wide open offensively, but I wouldn't hire the best arena league head coach to be anything more than a position coach.

The best CFL defense is worse than the worst defense in NFL history.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.