ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Economics Some employment/economic numbers from the last month/quarter/year. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269579)

Direckshun 02-01-2013 11:25 AM

Some employment/economic numbers from the last month/quarter/year.

As the recovery continues. There's a bunch of stuff on this but they don't all warrant their own threads so here's a compendium of economic information.

The economy last year experienced a net-improvement of 2.17 million jobs (private sector gained 2.24), which is better than every single year of the Bush Presidency except one (2005).

The jobs report of the fourth quarter of 2012 has been revised upward, now saying we added 600,000+ jobs from October through December.

The GDP actually contracted 0.1% in that quarter, however. The first contraction in 13 quarters -- though revisions will probably change that to a slight expansion -- largely because of Hurricane Sandy and vast layoffs in the defense sector.

The initial estimate is that we added 157,000 jobs in January. The unemployment rate actually jumped, however, from 7.8% to 7.9%. As the economy gets better, more people are entering the job market.

The government continues to be the main holder-backer of a faster recovery, as reduced government payrolls have weighed down employment figures.

The Institute for Supply Management said its index of Manufacturing activity grew to 53.1, according to the Institute for Supply Management, which is a big jump up.

The Dow jumped above 1,500 earlier this month. After today's jobs report, it launched above 1,400.

What's driving the jump up in employment? Mostly, construction, buoyed by about 30,000 new hires, which indicates more homes are being built.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ntpayrolls.png

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...n_industry.png

You're welcome.

Prison Bitch 02-01-2013 07:18 PM

I notice you didn't mention anything about the 8.5million folks who've dropped out of the labor force under the new king.

RedNeckRaider 02-01-2013 07:22 PM

On the heels of the GDP dip LMAO

Bewbies 02-01-2013 08:33 PM

Obama cuts the deficit by trillions, millions of people are eliminated from the jobless, Economy contracts, unemployment goes up, we are chugging full speed ahead to a generational economic boom!!

mlyonsd 02-01-2013 09:02 PM

This thread could have easily been titled 'Economy shrinks as unemployment rises, but the Obama recovery is still officially working because our heads are in the sand'.

cosmo20002 02-01-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9371476)
I notice you didn't mention anything about the 8.5million folks who've dropped out of the labor force under the new king.

Thanks to the huge gains in the stock market, seniors were able to retire. I say good for them. What's your problem with it?

Prison Bitch 02-01-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9371806)
Thanks to the huge gains in the stock market, seniors were able to retire. I say good for them. What's your problem with it?

GOP congress doing a helluva job since Jan 2011. Jobs and stock market way up. No?

Direckshun 02-02-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9371476)

Quote:

I was wondering -- how many of those 8.5 million are seniors?

We are experiencing the retiring of the baby boomers. We'll be experiencing record numbers of retirements for a generation.

Direckshun 02-02-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9371621)
This thread could have easily been titled 'Economy shrinks as unemployment rises, but the Obama recovery is still officially working because our heads are in the sand'.

The economy shrank only temporarily -- even economists aren't concerned, and the stock market remains high. The shrinking in the economy, as the OP stated, was due to Sandy hitting the Northeast and a huge slashing in defense.

HonestChieffan 02-02-2013 06:47 AM

Ill do a happy dance later today. The recovery rocks on. Forward!!!

mlyonsd 02-02-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9372099)
The economy shrank only temporarily -- even economists aren't concerned, and the stock market remains high. The shrinking in the economy, as the OP stated, was due to Sandy hitting the Northeast and a huge slashing in defense.

Which is a symptom and just more proof this is the worst 'recovery' on record.

Any gains in jobs is just as more likely to be from the comeback of the McRibb than anything Obama can take credit for.

Direckshun 02-02-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9372105)
Which is a symptom and just more proof this is the worst 'recovery' on record.

Fair enough.

That's going to happen, however, when you hit the second-worst economic downturn in American history.

During the Great Depression, we had a gigantic influx of federal spending to supplement demand and history's largest land war to stimulate the economy.

The only serious federal spending we've committed to following this recession was four years ago, too tepid, and it was immediately followed by three times that amount in deficit reduction.

Gee, I wonder why the recovery's so slow.

blaise 02-02-2013 07:37 AM

Good news Obama
Bad news Bush

Comrade Crapski 02-02-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

yeah so riddle me this, why the 18-21 demographic is 24% unemployment.

You stupid mouthfoaming drone.

Prison Bitch 02-02-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9372097)
I was wondering -- how many of those 8.5 million are seniors?

We are experiencing the retiring of the baby boomers. We'll be experiencing record numbers of retirements for a generation.

For the small percentage of people who are aware that the purported decline in unemployment rates is primarily based on the mysterious rapid decline in "labor force participation rates" rather than the number of new jobs, the government has a ready and sensible-sounding explanation: the Boomers are beginning to retire in large numbers, and with an aging population, the percentage of adults who are in the workforce should logically be declining.

Based on in-depth analysis of the government's own numbers, we will present herein the true picture: 74% of the jobless who have been removed from unemployment calculations are in the 16-54 age bracket, with only 26% in the 55 and above bracket. Yes, the population is aging - but the heart of the workforce participation deception isn't about the old.

http://danielamerman.com/articles/2012/WorkC.html