ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Was anything posted about Soria leaving the Royals? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270169)

God of Thunder 02-18-2013 09:51 PM

Was anything posted about Soria leaving the Royals?

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/new...ook_kc&c_id=kc

Quote:

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Former Royals closer Joakim Soria is now with the Rangers and, even though he's in the same training complex, he's keeping his distance from his old teammates. He's staying on the Texas side of the Surprise facility.

"I went over there before Spring Training to see them, but now we're getting serious," he said. "This is my home. I have nothing to do with them. This is my new home."

Soria signed with the Rangers as a free agent after the Royals declined to exercise an $8 million option for his 2013 salary. Soria underwent Tommy John surgery at the end of Spring Training last year.

DaveNull 02-18-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Soria underwent Tommy John surgery at the end of Spring Training last year.
and was no longer worth $8 million a year.

Demonpenz 02-18-2013 09:59 PM

Whew those couple years he was awesome.

KcMizzou 02-18-2013 09:59 PM

He's been gone for a while.

wazu 02-18-2013 11:04 PM

Has any athlete ever destroyed their own mojo as thoroughly as Soria did by decrying his own awesome, fan-loved nickname?

Kyle DeLexus 02-18-2013 11:08 PM

Should have traded him when his value was high.

wazu 02-18-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle DeLexus (Post 9414471)
Should have traded him when his value was high.

Easy to say in hindsight. He was one of the only bright spots on the team for awhile. At the top of his game and loved by fans. The best times at Kauffman were when "Welcome to the Jungle" blared on the speakers as he walked in to close out games.

I think the bigger indictment of the Royals is the crazy number of TJ surgeries their pitchers in general are having to undergo. Something is very broken there.

Dante84 02-18-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9414463)
Has any athlete ever destroyed their own mojo as thoroughly as Soria did by decrying his own awesome, fan-loved nickname?

To be fair, there were (and are) a shit ton of Mexicutions that happen down there because of the cartels.

wazu 02-18-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 9414549)
To be fair, there were (and are) a shit ton of Mexicutions that happen down there because of the cartels.

Really? Even after Soria disowned his awesome nickname? I thought that might solve the problem.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-18-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9414540)
Easy to say in hindsight. He was one of the only bright spots on the team for awhile. At the top of his game and loved by fans. The best times at Kauffman were when "Welcome to the Jungle" blared on the speakers as he walked in to close out games.

I think the bigger indictment of the Royals is the crazy number of TJ surgeries their pitchers in general are having to undergo. Something is very broken there.

No, that was easy to say at the time: he was an overvalued commodity on a team that didn't need him, and could use the return on investment. The Royals held on to their cards too long and lost out on potential value as a result.

Dante84 02-18-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9414562)
Really? Even after Soria disowned his awesome nickname? I thought that might solve the problem.

eh, I think he just thought it was distasteful.

If he had a sick curveball, and was from SW Missouri, it would probably be distasteful to call him the "Joplinado."

Demonpenz 02-18-2013 11:36 PM

Viva La Soria

cosmo20002 02-18-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9414463)

Having a badass nickname for your badass closer loses a little of the zing when your team is only winning a couple games a week though.

Kyle DeLexus 02-19-2013 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9414540)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9414573)
No, that was easy to say at the time: he was an overvalued commodity on a team that didn't need him, and could use the return on investment. The Royals held on to their cards too long and lost out on potential value as a result.

Hamas is right. A top closer is just a luxury item for a team like the Royals back then and he would have gotten them a good return from a playoff team that needed a top closer. You can't build a team around a closer, so they should have dealt him for a player(s) you can build a team around.

lewdog 02-19-2013 06:18 PM

Closers are the most over-valued position in baseball. Find a good one, then find a team dumb enough to trade a ton for him.

Good mid-relievers come in during much tighter situations and are much more valuable for winning close games.