ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Mike Tomlin: Read-Option is "Flavor of the Day" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271325)

tk13 03-19-2013 08:35 PM

Mike Tomlin: Read-Option is "Flavor of the Day"

Quote:

PHOENIX -- The read-option may be the NFL's in vogue offensive concept, but to the league's defensive-minded coaches it's just the latest in a long line of puzzles to solve.

"I think it's the flavor of the day," Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings. "We will see if it's the flavor of the year. We'll see if guys are committed to getting their guys hit."

The success last year of young, athletic quarterbacks such as the Washington Redskins' Robert Griffin III, Seattle Seahawks' Russell Wilson and San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick, who led the 49ers to the Super Bowl running their version of the read-option, is thought to portend a new offensive trend toward dynamic offenses that force defenses to account for more than they're used to seeing.

But as Tomlin's comment hints, the read-option carries risk and exacts from the quarterback a physical price that the small sample size doesn't yet prove teams are willing to pay.

So while the read-option may be the hot concept of the NFL moment, opposing defenses view it instead as something to be stamped out.

"We look forward to stopping it," Tomlin said. "We look forward to eliminating it."
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...nfl-flavor-day

Nightfyre 03-19-2013 08:36 PM

Tomlin's plan for stopping the read-option is simple. Injure the QBs.

Deberg_1990 03-19-2013 08:37 PM

Hes right about this:

"We'll see if guys are committed to getting their guys hit"

Molitoth 03-19-2013 08:40 PM

Tomlin is right.

And since The Chiefs are still stuck in 80's style football, perhaps the read-option will have come full circle by the time the chiefs move to it.

Fritz88 03-19-2013 09:04 PM

Doesn't his QB run a lot and gets hit a lot?

LoneWolf 03-19-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 9515035)
Doesn't his QB run a lot and gets hit a lot?

He gets hit a lot because he will stand in the pocket and wait forever for a receiver to get open, but he is far from a running QB.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-19-2013 09:16 PM

Don't let Thomlin fool you. When the other boys in kindergaten put their dicks in the guppie tank, he did too.

Brock 03-19-2013 09:18 PM

Tomlin should probably worry about his own mess.

Shogun 03-19-2013 09:19 PM

Think Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the nfl, ill trust his judgement.

Easy 6 03-19-2013 09:19 PM

Count me as another brick in the Tomlin is spot on wall... throw your option QB out there to the wolves, and we'll eat eat him, thats an AWESOME football statement and probably exactly how teams will attack it in the future... **** you Goodell, you cant change everything right away.

The read option will mostly die out just like the wildcat did, a gimmick is a gimmick, unless you have some custom made, physical find like Kaepernick able to execute it consistently without getting killed... its worthless.

Ultimately, dropback passers rule, if you cant do that... forget it.

DeezNutz 03-19-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9515054)
Tomlin should probably worry about his own mess.

Haley is on staff, so he's cool.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-19-2013 11:06 PM

Sweet Jesus I think I love this man.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-19-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 9515056)
Think Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the nfl, ill trust his judgement.

There is NO other coach in the NFL I admire more. Tomlin is the goddamned Richard Roundtree of professional football.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hootie 03-19-2013 11:15 PM

we'll see

the Redskins version of the read-option is a flavor of the month, I do agree

but the way the Seahawks and 49ers simply work it in is here to stay

Russell Wilson is literally the perfect QB.

Hootie 03-19-2013 11:17 PM

LMAO

Mike Tomlin is ok. I have a hard time giving too much credit to a guy who took over that Steelers team. Pretty sure Ben Roethlisberger and a team loaded with defensive talent could have made me look good as a head coach.