ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   U.S. Issues 14 hurt in stabbing spree in Texas (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271928)

InChiefsHell 04-09-2013 03:44 PM

14 hurt in stabbing spree in Texas

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...e-student?lite

Time to ban sharp objects...

Frazod 04-09-2013 03:46 PM

I assume we'll see all the victims pissing and moaning about assault knifes on 60 minutes next week, right?

Munson 04-09-2013 03:48 PM

We need to have a national discussion on knife violence.

otherstar 04-09-2013 03:49 PM

I used to work in the library at that school. I still know people that work there. There was a shooting on one of their other campuses a few months ago.

DJ's left nut 04-09-2013 04:01 PM

In fairness - 14 stabbed isn't 14 dead.

I hate the gun control crap as much as anyone, but use this as some sort of backhanded way to diffuse the gun control rhetoric is to kinda prove their point.

BucEyedPea 04-09-2013 04:02 PM

Knife regulations, universal background checks ought to handle it.

"We need to do everything we can to reduce the likelihood that our children will be stabbed to death in the streets." /Obama]

InChiefsHell 04-09-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9571860)

I hate the gun control crap as much as anyone, but use this as some sort of backhanded way to diffuse the gun control rhetoric is to kinda prove their point.

Well sure...but if a mofo wanted to run around with a friggin samurai sword and hack heads off...there would be no armed resistance. If he can wound 14, he can kill 14.

I just thought it was interesting.

Frazod 04-09-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

It mainly proves how ****ing stupid the other side is. Nobody will blame the knife.

DJ's left nut 04-09-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9571980)
It mainly proves how ****ing stupid the other side is. Nobody will blame the knife.

They'll absolutely draw a distinction between the damage wrought, though.

But you're right, while this should create the same discussion on mental health that every other instance of mass-violence should create, it won't.

Honestly, the Republicans should start trying to re-frame the debate when things like this happen, but they're generally not that clever. If the Rs would get up, get outraged and say "Now is when we need to have a discussion about drugs, education and mental health in this country" they'd have at least planted a flag that establishes their side of this particular debate the next time someone goes spraying bullets into a crowded room.

Munson 04-09-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9571980)

I blame the knife lobby. :evil:

Donger 04-09-2013 04:46 PM

I thought there already "knife control laws"? Length of blade, switchblades are illegal and so on?

Frankie 04-09-2013 05:05 PM

You guys realize how pathetic trivializing the deaths of 20 children and 6 adults in a span of less than 6 minutes is when you compare it to people "hurt" in knife attacks, don't you?

Raiderhader 04-09-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

I disagree. It shows that even with the absence of guns people will kill, or try to in this case. The gun control crowd would have you believe that banning guns would put an end to this.

It also further proves that you do not require an AR15 to carry out mass violence.

stevieray 04-09-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9572053)
You guys realize how pathetic trivializing the deaths of 20 children and 6 adults in a span of less than 6 minutes is when you compare it to people "hurt" in knife attacks, don't you?

..you mean like pimping children for gun control when 2100 babies will be murdered by COB?

Raiderhader 04-09-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9571996)
They'll absolutely draw a distinction between the damage wrought, though.

But you're right, while this should create the same discussion on mental health that every other instance of mass-violence should create, it won't.

Honestly, the Republicans should start trying to re-frame the debate when things like this happen, but they're generally not that clever. If the Rs would get up, get outraged and say "Now is when we need to have a discussion about drugs, education and mental health in this country" they'd have at least planted a flag that establishes their side of this particular debate the next time someone goes spraying bullets into a crowded room.

This I absolutely do agree with. The GOP is atrocious about letting the left frame the debate. I've bitched about it for years.