ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Legal Will Dzhokhar get the death penalty? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272381)

Prison Bitch 04-23-2013 08:07 AM

Will Dzhokhar get the death penalty?
 
Massachussetts: outlawed the death penalty in 1982.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital..._Massachusetts

Gov Deval Patrick: Publicly opposes the death penalty. http://www.ontheissues.org/Deval_Patrick.htm

Most Americans prefer life imprisonment to death if given the choice:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90348&page=1


Therefore there can be no doubt that the bomber will be kept in prison rather than executed. No way a liberal state will be able to oppose the death penalty (esp when they made it state law)..... and then turn around to execute the bomber. Must be consistent.

BucEyedPea 04-23-2013 08:09 AM

He could be executed by the federal govt.

Hog Farmer 04-23-2013 08:10 AM

He's gonna die. Bank on it.

cosmo20002 04-23-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9616353)
Massachussetts: outlawed the death penalty in 1982.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital..._Massachusetts

Gov Deval Patrick: Publicly opposes the death penalty. http://www.ontheissues.org/Deval_Patrick.htm

Most Americans prefer life imprisonment to death if given the choice:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90348&page=1


Therefore there can be no doubt that the bomber will be kept in prison rather than executed. No way a liberal state will be able to oppose the death penalty (esp when they made it state law)..... and then turn around to execute the bomber. Must be consistent.

If there was no death penalty when the crime was committed, they can't create one and go back and apply it to a crime that has already occurred.
If the Fed charges qualify for the death penalty, then the Feds could execute him.

Prison Bitch 04-23-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9616360)
If there was no death penalty when the crime was committed, they can't create one and go back and apply it to a crime that has already occurred.
If the Fed charges qualify for the death penalty, then the Feds could execute him.

Right, I know the Feds can go after it. (I made this point in another thread over the weekend). I'm talking more about the local environment there. Won't the citizens of the Bay State go crazy? Won't they protest? After all they are good liberals who don't like the death penalty - Surely you see the point here.


My hunch is that they want this guy killed despite their "stong moral convictions" that it's wrong.

cosmo20002 04-23-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9616386)
Right, I know the Feds can go after it. (I made this point in another thread over the weekend). I'm talking more about the local environment there. Won't the citizens of the Bay State go crazy? Won't they protest? After all they are good liberals who don't like the death penalty - Surely you see the point here.


My hunch is that they want this guy killed despite their "stong moral convictions" that it's wrong.

Can't speak for everyone, but I think for a lot of people who are "against" the death penalty, they are against it not so much for strictly moral reasons (that it is always wrong to kill), but for more general complicated reasons. Such as--it is applied unfairly (disproportionately to minorities and to the poor who can't afford better lawyers and a better defense), and that there is always the possibility an innocent person will be executed.

However, when it comes down to an individual, a horrible act, and clear evidence like a video and admission, a lot of people who are generally against the death penalty aren't really bothered by it for specific situations.

alnorth 04-23-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9616353)
Massachussetts: outlawed the death penalty in 1982.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital..._Massachusetts

Gov Deval Patrick: Publicly opposes the death penalty. http://www.ontheissues.org/Deval_Patrick.htm

Most Americans prefer life imprisonment to death if given the choice:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90348&page=1


Therefore there can be no doubt that the bomber will be kept in prison rather than executed. No way a liberal state will be able to oppose the death penalty (esp when they made it state law)..... and then turn around to execute the bomber. Must be consistent.

Massachusetts law is completely irrelevant, he'll be tried in federal court.

I think he will not get the death penalty just because there will probably be enough "my brother made me do it" mitigating circumstances.

blaise 04-23-2013 08:40 AM

I don't think Mass.'s feelings on the death penalty will even enter into it.


If he doesn't get the death penalty he's probably going to the ADX. Either way he's going to be suffering.

AussieChiefsFan 04-23-2013 08:43 AM

Either way, after they've exhausted questioning/interrogating him, I don't fell he'll be around for long.

blaise 04-23-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 9616449)
Either way, after they've exhausted questioning/interrogating him, I don't fell he'll be around for long.

What like let him die? They want him to stand trial.

DaFace 04-23-2013 08:51 AM

I don't really have a full understanding of what the criteria are for the death penalty compared to multiple life sentences, but I could see him getting a lesser sentence due to the (probable) fact that his brother was really the one driving the whole thing, and he just went along for the ride.

AussieChiefsFan 04-23-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9616451)
What like let him die?

no

Quote:

They want him to stand trial.
Oh, right. I'd forgotten about that. They've already got enough for a "life" conviction I would have thought.

BucEyedPea 04-23-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9616467)
I don't really have a full understanding of what the criteria are for the death penalty compared to multiple life sentences, but I could see him getting a lesser sentence due to the (probable) fact that his brother was really the one driving the whole thing, and he just went along for the ride.

Ya' know I don't get that—going along for the ride. If he participated he did it too. He has free will and a conscience but agreed to mass killing.

stonedstooge 04-23-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 9616449)
Either way, after they've exhausted questioning/interrogating him, I don't fell he'll be around for long.

Since they read him his Miranda Rights, don't think there will be much information coming from him unless they trade him something for him to talk

Amnorix 04-23-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9616386)
Right, I know the Feds can go after it. (I made this point in another thread over the weekend). I'm talking more about the local environment there. Won't the citizens of the Bay State go crazy? Won't they protest? After all they are good liberals who don't like the death penalty - Surely you see the point here.


My hunch is that they want this guy killed despite their "stong moral convictions" that it's wrong.

Death penalty is on the table as the federal charges he's been hit with include that as a sentence.

And he will get it. And rightly so.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.