ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   U.S. Issues Asshat Republican Wants First Graders to Work for Food (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272424)

gblowfish 04-24-2013 09:48 AM

Asshat Republican Wants First Graders to Work for Food
 
Making Children -we're talking first grade to sixth grade- be forced to work to get a meal is the ultimate in "compassionate conservatism." JFC, is there no end to the idiocy?

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/W...200267021.html

A West Virginia lawmaker floated the idea during floor debate in the state's House of Delegates of having school children work as janitors, the Associated Press reports.

The West Virginia House recently passed a school lunch bill on an overwhelmingly bipartisan basis, by a vote of 89-9, according to the Associated Press. The Feed to Achieve Act would establish nonprofits to solicit private donations to go toward providing every child with a breakfast and lunch at no cost.

But one Republican suggested that was a misguided notion.

"I think it would be a good idea if perhaps we had the kids work for their lunches: trash to be taken out, hallways to be swept, lawns to be mowed, make them earn it," Del. Ray Canterbury (R-Greenbrier) said during floor debate. "If they miss a lunch or they miss a meal they might not, in that class that afternoon, learn to add, they may not learn to diagram a sentence, but they'll learn a more important lesson."

Canterbury argued that providing students with free lunches would destroy their work ethic and show them "there's an easy way," the Charleston Gazette reported.

"I'm offended anybody in this body would dare say a child has to work for their meals," responded Del. Meshea Poore (D-Kanawha), according to the Gazette. "I can't believe someone would say a first-grader, a second-grader ... a fifth-grader has to labor before they eat. This isn't an entitlement bill."

According to a 2004 report from the Annie E. Casey Foundation, children in West Virginia [PDF] were almost twice as likely to live in neighborhoods with a high poverty rate, compared to the national average. The group also ranks West Virginia 47th nationally for education, with 79 percent of eighth graders not proficient in math and 73 percent of fourth graders not proficient in reading.

A national survey in 2012 from Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry campaign found a majority of teachers report pupils coming to school hungry, which the group says makes it more difficult for students to concentrate.

Canterbury's suggestion was similar to a remark made by former House Speaker Newt Gingrich during a debate in the Republican presidential primary, when Gingrich suggested making poor students become janitors at their schools.

The Feed to Achieve Act now heads to the desk of West Virginia Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin, who is expected to sign it.

HonestChieffan 04-24-2013 09:51 AM

What on earth are we teaching our children!!!!!! OMG

King_Chief_Fan 04-24-2013 09:53 AM

As a Republican, I am embarrassed by the asshat.

Human rights advocates should get all over this one.

NewChief 04-24-2013 10:03 AM

The same dumbass, evidently, proposed a bill to make Science Fiction works compulsory reading, "to stimulate interest in math and science among students in the public schools of this state, the State Board of Education shall prescribe minimum standards by which samples of grade-appropriate science fiction literature are integrated into the curriculum of existing reading, literature or other required courses for middle school and high school students."


Note: I like science fiction, but I don't think it's necessary to make it compulsory reading for every grade.

Prison Bitch 04-24-2013 10:04 AM

What kind of idiot kid would work for food when Tamerlan tTerrorist got free welfare, Iphone, Mercedes, and food? Look I understand teaching kids how to be responsible citizens who will one day pay their own freight (and Tamerlan's too). But this is a bit much.

La literatura 04-24-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9619865)

But one Republican suggested that was a misguided notion.

"I think it would be a good idea if perhaps we had the kids work for their lunches: trash to be taken out, hallways to be swept, lawns to be mowed, make them earn it," Del. Ray Canterbury (R-Greenbrier) said during floor debate. "If they miss a lunch or they miss a meal they might not, in that class that afternoon, learn to add, they may not learn to diagram a sentence, but they'll learn a more important lesson."

Canterbury argued that providing students with free lunches would destroy their work ethic and show them "there's an easy way," the Charleston Gazette reported.

Embarrassing. He should be shamed out of public office.

FishingRod 04-24-2013 10:06 AM

Change this to

"I think it would be a good idea if perhaps we had the kids parents work for their lunches:

and I'll give it some thought.

loochy 04-24-2013 10:07 AM

Hire kids and you'll get crappy work

Prison Bitch 04-24-2013 10:08 AM

My dad used to say: "There's no free lunch."


Obviously this was back in the 80s before Obama's time.

loochy 04-24-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9619912)
My dad used to say: "There's no free lunch."


Obviously this was back in the 80s before Obama's time.

No, there was free lunch in the 80s. Those kids had orange colored lunch tickets. The normal kids had blue lunch tickets, paid the standard exorbitant price of $1.65 for lunch, or the brought their lunch from home.

NewChief 04-24-2013 10:12 AM

These ****ing dumbasses need to realize that school meals are the only meals some kids eat all day.

I live in an relatively affluent town with a low poverty rate, and we still have to do a homeless/impoverished outreach where we send kids home with "lunchboxes" on Friday because that's probably the only food they're going to get that weekend.

loochy 04-24-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9619927)
These ****ing dumbasses need to realize that school meals are the only meals some kids eat all day.

I live in an relatively affluent town with a low poverty rate, and we still have to do a homeless/impoverished outreach where we send kids home with "lunchboxes" on Friday because that's probably the only food they're going to get that weekend.

I'll buy them a 50 lb bag of rice and a 50 lb bag of dry beans and a jar of vitamins

Radar Chief 04-24-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9619927)
These ****ing dumbasses need to realize that school meals are the only meals some kids eat all day.

I live in an relatively affluent town with a low poverty rate, and we still have to do a homeless/impoverished outreach where we send kids home with "lunchboxes" on Friday because that's probably the only food they're going to get that weekend.

And thatís everybody elseís fault but the parents how exactly?

La literatura 04-24-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9619936)
And thatís everybody elseís fault but the parents how exactly?

Are you serious?

Radar Chief 04-24-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La literatura (Post 9619945)
Are you serious?

About parents taking care of their children? Absolutely.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.