ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Education FDA appeals making 'morning-after' pill available to all ages (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272698)

luv 05-01-2013 11:07 PM

FDA appeals making 'morning-after' pill available to all ages
 
http://www.ky3.com/news/sns-rt-us-us...,4232178.story

Terry Baynes
Reuters
8:00 p.m. CDT, May 1, 2013

(Reuters) - The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday appealed a court order directing the agency to make "morning-after" emergency contraception pills available without a prescription to all girls of reproductive age.

Lawyers with the Justice Department filed the appeal with the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York, according to court documents.

The appeal is the latest foray in the years-long legal battle over the pill known as "Plan B," a drug that has also sparked political and religious clashes. If taken up to 120 hours after unprotected sex, it is designed to prevent pregnancy.

The government is seeking to overturn U.S. District Judge Edward Korman's ruling from April 5 that required the FDA to make the emergency contraception available over-the-counter to women of all ages within 30 days.

The Justice Department has asked the district court to temporarily stop its order from taking effect while the appeal is pending, said FDA spokeswoman Erica Jefferson.

The district judge's ruling came in response to a lawsuit originally filed in 2005 by the Center for Reproductive Rights and other groups seeking to strike down age and access limits to the emergency contraception. They argued that there was no scientific proof that girls of reproductive age could not safely use the drug without supervision.

Korman's order reversed a surprise December 2011 decision by U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. At the time, the FDA had decided to approve over-the-counter sales with no age limits when Sebelius ordered it to reverse course, barring girls under 17 from buying the pills without a prescription.

President Barack Obama supported that restriction, invoking his daughters. But the timing, 11 months ahead of the presidential election, sparked criticism that he was trying to placate social conservatives.

In his ruling, Korman called Sebelius' decision "arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable."

"The motivation for the secretary's action was obviously political," he wrote.

Nancy Northup, president of the Center for Reproductive Rights, criticized the government's decision to appeal.

Obama's "administration has decided once again to deprive women of their right to obtain emergency contraception without unjustified and burdensome restrictions," she said in a statement.

Before filing its appeal, the FDA said on Tuesday that it would allow girls as young as 15 years old to buy without a prescription the Plan B One-Step emergency contraceptive, made by a unit of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.

The agency said its decision to lower the age limit for Plan B One-Step was based on scientific data submitted by Teva that showed girls as young as 15 could safely use the drug without the intervention of a healthcare provider. Cashiers will still have to verify the customer's age before selling it, the FDA said.

The case is Tummino et al. v. Hamburg et al., U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, No. 12-763.

luv 05-01-2013 11:14 PM

I put this under education because most of the comments I've seen directed at this seem to display a lack of it.

Fairplay 05-01-2013 11:19 PM

It will be in vending machines everywhere before you know it.

Pass them out to the girls at middle school like its candy.

Cephalic Trauma 05-01-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9651375)
It will be in vending machines everywhere before you know it.

Pass them out to the girls at middle school like its candy.

A. Abstinence doesn't work. It just doesn't

B. This has NOTHING to do with abortion. At all.

C. Safe for the girls, as stated in the OP.

Check. Check. Check.

There's a lot of misinformation out there, and we will likely see some of it in this thread.

luv 05-01-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9651435)
A. Abstinence doesn't work. It just doesn't

B. This has NOTHING to do with abortion. At all.

There's a lot of misinformation out there, and we will likely see some of it in this thread.

You should have seen all of the people saying "liberals will send this country straight to hell", "life begins at conception", and "I'd rather raise a baby from an accidental pregnancy than know that killed an unborn child". Even the term "kill pill".

You cannot kill something that was never conceived to begin with. It's prevention, not abortion. Reading people's comments made me think, though. Is this how people think of my football views? Shouting at the top of my lungs against something whenever I have no clue what I'm really arguing against? :)

One "conversation" I had was also:

Him: Disgusting that they think its ok for a 15 year old to be able to purchase this.
Liberals are taking America straight to hell.

Me: As long as you're okay with the government paying for the child.

Him: Where do you think the government gets its money Leann. Wow
Obama??

Me: They get it from taxes. Your money will end up paying for the food stamps and welfare that the baby will likely be on. Abstinence is always best, but what if your child isn't as perfect as you want them to be? This is not abortion, unless you think items that prevent pregnancy are the same as abortion. This pill does not kill the baby. It helps to prevent pregnancy.


Pro-life people are really just pro-birth people. They care about the child up until it's born. But heaven forbid you have to pay taxes that go towards Medicare, food stamps, welfare, or whatever other government assistance the child will end up needing. You complain that people have babies just to get more money, but you also complain whenever they take preventative measures from having more babies?

Anyway, this particular gentleman's argument has now been moved to God no longer being in schools and how we have freedom of religion and not freedom from religion, etc.

Loneiguana 05-02-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9651375)
It will be in vending machines everywhere before you know it.

Pass them out to the girls at middle school like its candy.


It cannot be obtained without proof of ID.

mlyonsd 05-02-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9651487)
You should have seen all of the people saying "liberals will send this country straight to hell", "life begins at conception", and "I'd rather raise a baby from an accidental pregnancy than know that killed an unborn child". Even the term "kill pill".

You cannot kill something that was never conceived to begin with. It's prevention, not abortion. Reading people's comments made me think, though. Is this how people think of my football views? Shouting at the top of my lungs against something whenever I have no clue what I'm really arguing against? :)

One "conversation" I had was also:

Him: Disgusting that they think its ok for a 15 year old to be able to purchase this.
Liberals are taking America straight to hell.

Me: As long as you're okay with the government paying for the child.

Him: Where do you think the government gets its money Leann. Wow
Obama??

Me: They get it from taxes. Your money will end up paying for the food stamps and welfare that the baby will likely be on. Abstinence is always best, but what if your child isn't as perfect as you want them to be? This is not abortion, unless you think items that prevent pregnancy are the same as abortion. This pill does not kill the baby. It helps to prevent pregnancy.


Pro-life people are really just pro-birth people. They care about the child up until it's born. But heaven forbid you have to pay taxes that go towards Medicare, food stamps, welfare, or whatever other government assistance the child will end up needing. You complain that people have babies just to get more money, but you also complain whenever they take preventative measures from having more babies?

Anyway, this particular gentleman's argument has now been moved to God no longer being in schools and how we have freedom of religion and not freedom from religion, etc.

Someday when you're a parent maybe you won't sound so ignorant on this topic.

luv 05-02-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9651713)
Someday when you're a parent maybe you won't sound so ignorant on this topic.

Tell me how I'm being ignorant. If a female is old enough to be on birth control, for whatever reason, then she's old enough for this. It's the same thing as birth control, only a higher dosage.

I'd like to hear how old a lot of people were when they became sexually active. Did your parents know? Yes, you want your children to wait as long as possible, but you do not have control over them all of the time.

I've been arguing so much with people who say it should be banned, that I'm forgetting my original thought on the subject. While I think it should be available, I actually agree that anyone under 17 should have parental consent.

Loneiguana 05-02-2013 07:56 AM

Looks like it is still going to be in the courts.

"The Obama administration on Wednesday appealed a federal judge's order to lift all age limits on who can buy morning-after birth control pills without a prescription."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-...ng-after-case/

mlyonsd 05-02-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9651723)
Tell me how I'm being ignorant. If a female is old enough to be on birth control, for whatever reason, then she's old enough for this. It's the same thing as birth control, only a higher dosage.

I'd like to hear how old a lot of people were when they became sexually active. Did your parents know? Yes, you want your children to wait as long as possible, but you do not have control over them all of the time.

I've been arguing so much with people who say it should be banned, that I'm forgetting my original thought on the subject. While I think it should be available, I actually agree that anyone under 17 should have parental consent.

So you think the judge made a mistake?

LiveSteam 05-02-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9651723)
anyone under 17 should have parental consent.

With out a doubt.

Radar Chief 05-02-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9651723)
Tell me how I'm being ignorant. If a female is old enough to be on birth control, for whatever reason, then she's old enough for this. It's the same thing as birth control, only a higher dosage.

I'd like to hear how old a lot of people were when they became sexually active. Did your parents know? Yes, you want your children to wait as long as possible, but you do not have control over them all of the time.

I've been arguing so much with people who say it should be banned, that I'm forgetting my original thought on the subject. While I think it should be available, I actually agree that anyone under 17 should have parental consent.

I can agree with that. :thumb:

HonestChieffan 05-02-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9651723)
Tell me how I'm being ignorant. If a female is old enough to be on birth control, for whatever reason, then she's old enough for this. It's the same thing as birth control, only a higher dosage.

I'd like to hear how old a lot of people were when they became sexually active. Did your parents know? Yes, you want your children to wait as long as possible, but you do not have control over them all of the time.

I've been arguing so much with people who say it should be banned, that I'm forgetting my original thought on the subject. While I think it should be available, I actually agree that anyone under 17 should have parental consent.


Very reasonable.

Brock 05-02-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9651375)
It will be in vending machines everywhere before you know it.

Pass them out to the girls at middle school like its candy.

Please god, yes.

WV 05-02-2013 09:50 AM

The part I don't agree with is making it available to all ages and many seemingly thinking that it's no big deal. I know accidents happen and the point of all of this is to prevent unwanted/unplanned pregnancies, but the moral degeneration of this country is disturbing.

And my biggest issue is that this will do very little to prevent pregnancies from those that already ignore all other options out there currently.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.