ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Installing a Car CD Player (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273184)

royr17 05-19-2013 03:06 PM

Installing a Car CD Player

I got this Sony CD Player that I am installing into a 2000 Pontiac Montana. When I hook it up and turn over the key I am able to insert and eject cd's but get no power to turn it on.

I rewired the wires and I still have the same problem, I dont know what to do. Anybody have any idea what the problem could be, I checked the Radios fuse and its fine.

Help would be much appreciated.

royr17 05-19-2013 03:20 PM

bump .... is there anybody to could help and give me some advice as to what could be the problem.

notorious 05-19-2013 03:22 PM

You are giving it constant power, but your Accessory power is not telling the CD player to "power up".

Check the Acc. power and Constant power to see if you are getting 12-14 volts.

Acc. power should read 12 volts when you turn the key, then go to 0 volts when the key is turned off. The constant power should show 12 volts all the time.

Both wires should be yellow or red. Once you find the constant supply you can do a quick test and split it so that it supplies power to both constant and accessory. If the CD player works, it's a power supply problem.

notorious 05-19-2013 03:26 PM

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...76_16_full.jpg

Hammock Parties 05-19-2013 03:26 PM

Just take it to Best Buy.

notorious 05-19-2013 03:27 PM

The red wire should be 12 volts all the time.

The yellow wire should be 12 volts only when the key is turned.

TribalElder 05-19-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9692303)

That.

Power wire, memory wire, and ground.

Test it if it's used. Pop your hood put the yellow and red on the positive and the black on the negative of your battery. Make sure it works unless it's new.

royr17 05-19-2013 03:35 PM

are there any fuses i should check that could cause a problem

TribalElder 05-19-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr17 (Post 9692332)
are there any fuses i should check that could cause a problem

Very possible. I used to pop fuses if I hit the cig lighter which would cause the tail lights to quit also. Not cool. There might be barrel fuses inline on the stereo wires also

royr17 05-19-2013 03:46 PM

Back in January the factory stereo that was in my Montana went bad, I unhooked it and then hooked it back up and the radio would work but not the CD player so i just took it out and just got a CD Player to hook up and it'll load and eject CD's but wont power on, I dont have a clue to what the problem could be

jspchief 05-19-2013 03:57 PM

Get a wiring harness from crutchfield.

Stanley Nickels 05-19-2013 03:58 PM

throw away your CDs.

notorious 05-19-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 9692386)
throw away your CDs.

Hell no. They sound a lot better than the MP3 garbage people listen to.

KChiefer 05-19-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr17 (Post 9692243)
I got this Sony CD Player that I am installing into a 2000 Pontiac Montana. When I hook it up and turn over the key I am able to insert and eject cd's but get no power to turn it on.

I rewired the wires and I still have the same problem, I dont know what to do. Anybody have any idea what the problem could be, I checked the Radios fuse and its fine.

Help would be much appreciated.

You checked the fuse on the radio or the fuse in your car that governs the radio area?

My cigarette lighter caused a short and blew a fuse which killed my stereo. What was odd to me was that if I hit "display" button, the stereo would light up and show the clock temporarily, but it wouldn't fully turn on. So yeah, double check the fuses in your car. Also if the stereo has a factory reset pin hole, hit that, couldn't hurt.

royr17 05-19-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9692447)
You checked the fuse on the radio or the fuse in your car that governs the radio area?

My cigarette lighter caused a short and blew a fuse which killed my stereo. What was odd to me was that if I hit "display" button, the stereo would light up and show the clock temporarily, but it wouldn't fully turn on. So yeah, double check the fuses in your car. Also if the stereo has a factory reset pin hole, hit that, couldn't hurt.

I checked both, both fuses are good.