ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers 'LAN party tax' hits Swedish gamers (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274234)

Imon Yourside 07-01-2013 10:40 PM

'LAN party tax' hits Swedish gamers

Gamers in Sweden suffer a hard financial blow as authorities decide to tax so-called LAN parties. From now on, organizers of multiplayer get-togethers will be forced to pay a fee of up to $5,000 in order to receive a "permit" to connect PCs and video game consoles for gaming purposes. The ruling was made by the Gambling Board, the supervisory authority for gambling and lottery, in accordance with the liberal government's revised slot machine regulation of last year. The thriving gaming culture in Sweden - which hosts DreamHack, the biggest LAN party in the world - is expected to be struck hard by the decision.

Video games, too, are included under the new authorization.

”In the eyes of the law, these are slot machines. There is no difference,” Johan Röhr, general counsel at the Gambling Board, told the computer magazine M3.

According to Röhr, the new rules do not apply to, for instance, Internet cafes, where computers are mainly connected for purposes other than gaming.

In addition to the new tax, LAN organizers may be forced to pay an extra inspection fee should the Gambling Board decide to supervise the party.

Erik de Basso, Accounting Manager of the LAN party organizer Inferno Online, is highly critical of the new tax, which will cost his company additional thousands of dollars of expenses every year.

”They equate our business with playing slots at the local pub. Of course you get pissed,” he told M3.

The Gambling Board now requests all companies and economic associations which organize games on computers in a LAN environment to apply for a permit. For purely private gaming authorization is, so far, not needed. A permit is valid for two years.

http://www.friatider.se/lan-party-ta...swedish-gamers

Wow, that's crazy.

Psyko Tek 07-01-2013 10:44 PM

K just when I think I seen all the stupid I can,I get another

Pants 07-01-2013 11:52 PM

Good to see our country isn't the only one run by dumbasses.

Imon Yourside 07-01-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 9787650)
Good to see our country isn't the only one run by dumbasses.

I know...it's a ****ing LAN party...LAN....

Mr. Laz 07-02-2013 10:23 AM

Are they talking about the lan parties that have hundreds of people and charge people to get in and give out door prizes etc?

I would think it would be better to make them have to get a business permit etc than put it under a 'lan charge'

DaveNull 07-02-2013 10:42 AM

They must be...I don't see ten nerds in a room playing TF2 and getting all fired up on Red Bull being anything like a slot machine.

morphius 07-02-2013 10:49 AM

Sure, someone figures out a way to get geeks out of the house, and their gov't find a way to drive them back.

patteeu 07-02-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9788156)
Sure, someone figures out a way to get geeks out of the house, and their gov't find a way to drive them back.

LMAO

whoman69 07-03-2013 09:11 AM

I was confused and I think from the comments too, that many thought from the title Sweden was taxing games. They are actually taxing gambling online.

patteeu 07-03-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9790196)
I was confused and I think from the comments too, that many thought from the title Sweden was taxing games. They are actually taxing gambling online.

You're still partly confused. They're also taxing video gaming tournaments for prize money.

whoman69 07-04-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9790965)
You're still partly confused. They're also taxing video gaming tournaments for prize money.

Sweden wouldn't be the only country to tax prize money by any means.

Rausch 07-04-2013 12:20 PM

THose repressive ****s...

patteeu 07-05-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9792276)
Sweden wouldn't be the only country to tax prize money by any means.

Still confused. This isn't about taxing prize money. You should read the article maybe.

RealSNR 07-05-2013 08:32 AM

Sweden's such a great place to live, guys! There's no cancer and everything smells like cinnamon buns!