ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Superpowers wouldn't solve anything in this world. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274538)

Direckshun 07-14-2013 11:42 PM

Superpowers wouldn't solve anything in this world.

That's the greatest lie told by superhero movies: that our society would be safer, and our world would be better, if only we had a select number of people with superpowers.

It's a lie, man. Superheroes excel at one thing: stopping local crime. That's about all they're capable of doing.

What about international humanitarian crises with no easy answers? Take Egypt for example.

Or even worse: Syria. Possibly the most complex puzzle the world has to offer right now, with absolutely no conceivable, workable solutions.

What's Superman going to do in Syria? Take Assad out? Let Assad stay in power? Any action he takes will allow one of those two options prevail, and both are incredibly ugly outcomes.

Let's assume Superman sides against Assad, since I think that's the more Superman option of the two. What then, as 1,000 different opposition groups, a number of them jihadist groups, start to grapple for political supremacy?

What happens when the Iraq-style ethnic cleansing of Assad's people begins? Is Superman capable of preventing ethnic cleansing?

Answers, people. I demand answers.

ThaVirus 07-14-2013 11:45 PM

Superman could do some serious good in this world. Dude has the power to fight "crime" on a global scale.

Humans can't escape human nature though.

ThaVirus 07-14-2013 11:45 PM

It would be really ****ing cool to have a real-life Batman or Iron Man.

TLO 07-14-2013 11:46 PM

then the midgets

Direckshun 07-14-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9812936)
Superman could do some serious good in this world. Dude has the power to fight "crime" on a global scale.

Humans can't escape human nature though.

Here's what Superman can do that we can't, on a global scale:

We want to remove Saddam Hussein from power (for example). Boom, we just send Superman in, and he pulls out Saddam without a problem.

Except that just opens the doors to one of Saddam's subordinates to take over from where Saddam left off.

Valiant 07-15-2013 12:03 AM

Superman would do one thing if real create a new religion. Countries would cower in fear to not piss him off. He would also reign in our government.

Now. Super villians is where it is at.

ThaVirus 07-15-2013 12:03 AM

Well, the most powerful incarnations of Superman can fly at speeds near light speed, move planets, and is impervious to any man-made weapon.

He could literally stop a mugging in NYC, topple a military regime in Africa, then individually evacuate each member of a small Japanese city before a tsunami hit.. within a minute.

... That's why Superman is gay as hell.

Hammock Parties 07-15-2013 12:07 AM

Superman could win a SB for the Chiefs though.

And we wouldn't even need to throw the ball.

CoMoChief 07-15-2013 12:10 AM

I wish I could turn into the hulk

just for a day. just give me a few Gatorades and some Excedrin for the apparent hangover when I wake up.

Imon Yourside 07-15-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9812948)
Superman could win a SB for the Chiefs though.

And we wouldn't even need to throw the ball

Bring him in for a look?

KCSLC2008 07-15-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9812935)
That's the greatest lie told by superhero movies: that our society would be safer, and our world would be better, if only we had a select number of people with superpowers.

It's a lie, man. Superheroes excel at one thing: stopping local crime. That's about all they're capable of doing.

What about international humanitarian crises with no easy answers? Take Egypt for example.

Or even worse: Syria. Possibly the most complex puzzle the world has to offer right now, with absolutely no conceivable, workable solutions.

What's Superman going to do in Syria? Take Assad out? Let Assad stay in power? Any action he takes will allow one of those two options prevail, and both are incredibly ugly outcomes.

Let's assume Superman sides against Assad, since I think that's the more Superman option of the two. What then, as 1,000 different opposition groups, a number of them jihadist groups, start to grapple for political supremacy?

What happens when the Iraq-style ethnic cleansing of Assad's people begins? Is Superman capable of preventing ethnic cleansing?

Answers, people. I demand answers.

Well, if Superman saved my local daughter, that would mean the world to me, therefore, to me, it would solve that. For other people, as all people are local somewhere, they'd feel the same. So just because a hero is limited in scope doesn't mean it wouldn't solve anything.

cosmo20002 07-15-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9812935)

I think you are seriously underestimating the powers of Superman. If you can reverse the Earth's rotation in order to undo events, I think he could have a real impact.

And if you don't think just one could do much--how about the entire Justice League? You're talking Superman AND Batman AND Wonder Woman AND Flash AND the Green Lantern AND Aquaman AND a bunch of other more obscure ones I don't know. I assure you, they could get some shit done.

big nasty kcnut 07-15-2013 01:41 AM

Well don't you think superman would go to syria and find people to lead that are good and then take care of the bad guys.

CrazyPhuD 07-15-2013 02:05 AM

If everyone had Xray vision they couldn't turn off it would solve americas obesity problem!

OrtonsPiercedTaint 07-15-2013 03:33 AM

I'd settle for someone with the ability to see right from wrong. Though I don't think people on the whole. Would be as happy with that as they think they would.