ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Helmet to Helmet calls on Shoulder Hits (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275718)

Buck 08-29-2013 07:39 PM

Helmet to Helmet calls on Shoulder Hits

I see this it seems like at least once a game. It's not fair and it can change the momentum of a game completely. Why aren't the refs held accountable if they miscall this penalty?

In58men 08-29-2013 07:53 PM

Get use to it

WhawhaWhat 08-29-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9924496)
I see this it seems like at least once a game. It's not fair and it can change the momentum of a game completely. Why aren't the refs held accountable if they miscall this penalty?

Because the league would rather they err on the side of caution. What punishment would you like them to give out?

Buck 08-29-2013 07:55 PM

Maybe helmet to helmet calls should be reviewed by an official in a booth. He can instantly review the play and tell the ref if it was actually helmet to helmet or not. He should do nothing except confirm whether or not their helmets touched.

WhawhaWhat 08-29-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9924568)
Maybe helmet to helmet calls should be reviewed by an official in a booth. He can instantly review the play and tell the ref if it was actually helmet to helmet or not. He should do nothing except confirm whether or not their helmets touched.

That's all we need is another 60-90 secs for more commercials.

Buck 08-29-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9924575)
That's all we need is another 60-90 secs for more commercials.

I think this kind of review could be done usually within 5 seconds, and at most 20 seconds if he has to look at multiple views. It's pretty damn easy on replay to tell if helmets touched.

DaFace 08-29-2013 07:58 PM

Are they actually announcing it as "helmet to helmet" or just as unnecessary roughness? You don't have to have the former to get the latter anymore.

Buck 08-29-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9924591)
Are they actually announcing it as "helmet to helmet" or just as unnecessary roughness? You don't have to have the former to get the latter anymore.

Well in the Denver game the defender hit the ball carrier perfectly with shoulder pad to shoulder pad and the ref said Helmet to Helmet.

The same thing happened against the Cards with us last week. They got called on a helmet to helmet when it was just a perfect shoulder pad to shoulder pad.

I didn't realize that any shoulder to shoulder hit could be called unnecessary roughness.

DaFace 08-29-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9924605)
Well in the Denver game the defender hit the ball carrier perfectly with shoulder pad to shoulder pad and the ref said Helmet to Helmet.

The same thing happened against the Cards with us last week. They got called on a helmet to helmet when it was just a perfect shoulder pad to shoulder pad.

I didn't realize that any shoulder to shoulder hit could be called unnecessary roughness.

Who knows anymore. I know I've seen a lot of "defenseless receiver" calls that weren't anywhere close to helmet to helmet hits, but I couldn't even begin to describe what is and isn't legal at this point.

Buck 08-29-2013 08:05 PM

I pretty much know that the only way the NFL would ever look at this though is if it cost Brady or Manning a playoff game, like when the Colts didn't get to touch the ball in OT against us in 2008-09.

listopencil 08-29-2013 09:59 PM

Yeah, the refs are just reacting to the violence of the hit on these calls.

BlackHelicopters 08-30-2013 02:35 AM

On field executions would halt this nonsense.

BWillie 08-30-2013 03:34 AM

But the shoulder still hurts the poor football player

Dayze 08-30-2013 08:13 AM

they are / have been calling any hard hit. which is awesome.

not awesome - dumbass '2-Minute Warning'. WTF. Dumbest shit in sport

Amnorix 08-30-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9925274)
Yeah, the refs are just reacting to the violence of the hit on these calls.

This. The on-field speed of the game makes it impossible to be perfect. It's not a hard-and-fast rule anymore. Unless it's CLEARLY legal, a really hard hit that MAY be illegal will be called.

Better get used to it, cuz it aint' going back.