ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   U.S. Issues Ghetto Tracker App: Helps the Rich Avoid the Poor (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275927)

gblowfish 09-06-2013 12:21 PM

Ghetto Tracker App: Helps the Rich Avoid the Poor

Want to avoid the poor at all costs?
There's a app for that!

http://tinyurl.com/lep99cu

In less than 24 hours, a new app tactfully titled Ghetto Tracker--a service seeking to help people identify safe areas in unfamiliar cities--has already garnered enough backlash to prompt an immediate name change to Good Part of Town.

However, the PR move may not do much to alter the public's reception of the app, which critics are slamming as a racist, classist app for helping the rich to avoid the poor.

The app functions by allowing locals to rate the safety of different parts of a given area. According to The Week, the original launch of the page featured a white family of four smiling alongside the app's promise to show users "which parts of town are safe and which ones are ghetto, or unsafe."

In addition to the name change, all mention of the word "ghetto" has been removed from the site. The site now features an ethnically diverse family on its homepage.

In an email sent to Gawker, the app's team said it changed the name in response to emails from a woman whose family had been contained in an actual World War II ghetto and one from a man who grew up in a struggling area and went on to graduate from college and overcome his upbringing.

"I can't be held responsible for the assumptions people may make in regards to factors like race and income," the letter to Gawker continued. "I've seen comments on blogs and in twitter that are trying to say this is encouraging racism or social stratification and that was never our intention."

But critics have pointed out the app's adverse effects on the community, regardless of the app's intentions.

"Itís pretty detrimental to society when we reinforce the idea that poor or crime-heavy areas are places to be categorically avoided or shamed," David Holmes wrote on PandoDaily. "As if to assume that every person who lives in an area with comparatively high crime or poverty is a criminal, or that these areas are devoid of culture or positivity."

cosmo20002 09-06-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 9810268)
Seriously, if I discover I am driving through a black ghetto I lock my doors and roll up my windows.

BEP will be interested.

BigChiefTablet 09-06-2013 12:37 PM

I really don't do apps. But why is it detrimental to society for people to want to avoid crime-heavy areas in a city they are unfamiliar with?

Brock 09-06-2013 12:40 PM

Wish I'd thought of it.

Mr. Kotter 09-06-2013 12:41 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with the IDEA of this--it's the semantics and sales approach that could be somewhat offensive to whiney vaginas.

InChiefsHell 09-06-2013 12:43 PM

First thing anyone tells you if you are going somewhere that you are not familiar with and they are. They say "Be sure not to go south of x-street, it's a bad part of town."

Meh. I don't do apps, but what's the big deal?

loochy 09-06-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9944559)
the app, which critics are slamming as a racist

How is it racist? Bad neighborhoods don't HAVE to be full of certain ethnic groups. Bad is bad.

Detoxing 09-06-2013 12:44 PM

They have a point. It's not fair for the Rich to keep their shinnies all to themselves. The Ghetto needs rich white people to steal from in order to pay dem bills and keep the economy afloat.

If there aren't any brand new benzes in the hood to carjack then that could have some negative repercussions.

Dayze 09-06-2013 12:44 PM

would've come in handy for Clark
http://www.nextmovie.com/wp-content/...-2-500x300.jpg

loochy 09-06-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9944559)

"Itís pretty detrimental to society when we reinforce the idea that crime-heavy areas are places to be categorically avoided or shamed," David Holmes wrote on PandoDaily."

:facepalm:

what an idiot

Detoxing 09-06-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9944612)
How is it racist? Bad neighborhoods don't HAVE to be full of certain ethnic groups. Bad is bad.

It's racist because if the rich white people stay out, then who does the Ghetto have to steal from? Each other? **** that. Sounds like the white man trying to keep the black man down if you ask me.

mlyonsd 09-06-2013 12:48 PM

They should do this for Tom Tom's and Garmin's.

They could add informative voice reminders.

Unholster your weapon.
Don't slow down.
Welcome to the progressive future for everyone.

loochy 09-06-2013 12:50 PM

I can't find this app....I want it

philfree 09-06-2013 12:53 PM

One could probably use this in a strange city to find where to purchase illegal drugs. You just use it backwards.

loochy 09-06-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9944637)
One could probably use this in a strange city to find where to purchase illegal drugs. You just use it backwards.

i used your mom backwards