ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Int'l Issues The smorgasbord of Syria options. Which do you favor? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275963)

Direckshun 09-07-2013 03:08 PM

The smorgasbord of Syria options. Which do you favor?

Good people of the DC forum: you are now the United States Congress.

I have a dozen different options in dealing with the crisis in Syria. You will vote what you prefer.

I'm sure Congress will take our lead. LMAO

A pretty exhaustive poll coming.

Keep in mind, these are the options are you are approving of as of now, based on what you know now. You are casting your vote now.

patteeu 09-07-2013 03:57 PM

I voted on the assumption that I could trust Obama to lead this effort effectively and that he wouldn't half ass it because he was just doing it to save face. I know, I know, those are some real alternative reality assumptions.

patteeu 09-07-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9947554)
I voted on the assumption that I could trust Obama to lead this effort effectively and that he wouldn't half ass it because he was just doing it to save face. I know, I know, those are some real alternative reality assumptions.

Meanwhile, back in our reality, I'd hold a vote of confidence in Obama as commander-in-chief and vote no instead.

BTW, if I were going to authorize force, I wouldn't handcuff the President by putting a bunch of limits on it like this polls suggests.

Comrade Crapski 09-07-2013 04:16 PM

How about "go **** yourself, Drek".

HonestChieffan 09-07-2013 04:57 PM

What are we trying to solve?

vailpass 09-07-2013 05:38 PM

Gaz robots will settle all.

Prison Bitch 09-07-2013 05:59 PM

I prefer the option where the anti war Left and the leftist media finally speak out

BucEyedPea 09-07-2013 06:37 PM

None of the above, because it's based on the BIG lie that Assad used chem weapons.

DenverChief 09-07-2013 07:35 PM

I can't comprehend helping rebels that have the support of Al Q - and have the goal of toppling a secular regime for one that is ruled by the Koran...it's like the enemy of my enemy is my friend ..but still my enemy :shake:

Direckshun 09-07-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 9948205)
I can't comprehend helping rebels that have the support of Al Q - and have the goal of toppling a sectarian regime for one that is ruled by the Koran...it's like the enemy of my enemy is my friend ..but still my enemy :shake:

I think the word you're looking for is "secular," not "sectarian."

Assad is definitely sectarian, but to argue he's secular by any Western definition of the word is laughable.

DenverChief 09-07-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9948219)
I think the word you're looking for is "secular," not "sectarian."

Assad is definitely sectarian, but to argue he's secular by any Western definition of the word is laughable.

Correct - Mis-typed - but I disagree that Syria is not secular - if the purpose of the rebels is to install an islamic government ruled by the Koran then unless it is a Christian state ruled by the Bible it must be secular

Extra Point 09-07-2013 08:00 PM

Lebanon is the hinge on the door to Israel. Help that country, then things will be better.

Cheater5 09-07-2013 08:10 PM

This situation has shades of August 1914 all over it. We can easily afford to stay on the bench for this one.

ClevelandBronco 09-07-2013 09:15 PM

I reserve the right to change my mind, of course, but for now "Keep working for a diplomatic solution with Assad, a rebel alliance, Russia/China, the UN, and/or the Arab League" is the only one I support. Not that I think there's a snowball's chance in hell for a diplomatic solution.

patteeu 09-07-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 9948205)
I can't comprehend helping rebels that have the support of Al Q - and have the goal of toppling a secular regime for one that is ruled by the Koran...it's like the enemy of my enemy is my friend ..but still my enemy :shake:

If you recognize that Syria is the arm between Iran and it's Hezbollah sword, then the fact that Syria is secular doesn't really mean much.