ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music So I built some subwoofers (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277547)

Silock 10-16-2013 07:02 PM

So I built some subwoofers
 
Starts with a 12 foot long tube.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...psaea44aa5.jpg

Find the center, drill a pilot hole.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...psf1f0576a.jpg

Set the router jig, and cut!

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps77b835ad.jpg

It takes a few passes to make a clean cut.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps6b3847d6.jpg

Perfect circle! And my dad's ham legs.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...psaae2a16f.jpg

Cut more circles. Glue them together.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...psd05f232c.jpg

CLAMPZ.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps520ef8eb.jpg

Glue's gotta dry overnight.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps21b15922.jpg

Trying to get this thing level sucks. Just too big to do easily.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps38fd7b99.jpg

It does look like a giant fleshlight right now :laugh1:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...psaee8ab06.jpg

Heeelllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooo in there!
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps2c5367ba.jpg


Added the legs and attached the cap to the bottom.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps1a156d41.jpg

Unfinished product
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps0033c736.jpg

My dad using his paint sprayer to paint them. WAY faster than painting by hand and much more even coverage. Bad thing is that the sprayer wastes a ton of paint, so it took two gallons to get two full coats on them.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps073678a7.jpg

Dropped the 18s in, drilled a couple of holes for the binding posts.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps10658d3e.jpg

Fin!
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps5af8aec0.jpg

Subs are these:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-472

Now I just have to get them tuned properly. My friend works as a professional sound engineer (does shows for people like Maroon 5, John Mayer and Lady Antebellum) and he's bringing in his professional equipment over Thanksgiving so we can get the whole system really dialed in.

DaneMcCloud 10-16-2013 07:07 PM

He's probably just going to bring over pink and white noise analyzers. You'll most likely need massive bass traps and corner traps. Otherwise, it's going to sound like a whole lot of "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" without any definition.

There are places that sell the material to make your own but I don't have that kind of time. I use GIK Acoustics and Acoustimac.com for all of my treatment needs.

Good luck!

notorious 10-16-2013 07:07 PM

I saw this project on the net about 10 years ago. Adire Tempest (Which is a Dayton 15" sub) was the sub used in a lot of them back then. A person could basically build a sub that played linear past 20 Hz for less than $200.

The design is pretty good. Enjoy.

http://n6eaj.com/diyaudio/sonotube/

notorious 10-16-2013 07:10 PM

I should have build installed an Infinite Baffle with 4- 18's when I remodeled our house. That is the truest, cleanest low end design possible.

Silock 10-16-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10092303)
I should have build installed an Infinite Baffle with 4- 18's when I remodeled our house. That is the truest, cleanest low end design possible.

I didn't like my IBs. I had 4 Acoustic Elegance 15s.

Silock 10-16-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10092294)
He's probably just going to bring over pink and white noise analyzers. You'll most likely need massive bass traps and corner traps. Otherwise, it's going to sound like a whole lot of "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" without any definition.

There are places that sell the material to make your own but I don't have that kind of time. I use GIK Acoustics and Acoustimac.com for all of my treatment needs.

Good luck!

I'm in the process of making some bass traps, but I don't know where I'll really need to put them. Plus, they have to meet wife approval, so they've undergone some revisions. My room is neither small, nor square. I have the calibration mics and equipment to tune it myself, but I'm anxious to have a pro do it.

Silock 10-16-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10092295)
I saw this project on the net about 10 years ago. Adire Tempest (Which is a Dayton 15" sub) was the sub used in a lot of them back then. A person could basically build a sub that played linear past 20 Hz for less than $200.

The design is pretty good. Enjoy.

http://n6eaj.com/diyaudio/sonotube/

Mine are tuned to 19.6 Hz and will extend much lower. They already shake my bar apart. That's going to be a problem.

notorious 10-16-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10092311)
I didn't like my IBs. I had 4 Acoustic Elegance 15s.

They don't have any "punch" and very little distortion.


It is a different sound, that is for sure. You definately need some good speakers to handle bass from 50-60Hz on up.

Silock 10-16-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10092325)
They don't have any "punch" and very little distortion.


It is a different sound, that is for sure. You definately need some good speakers to handle bass from 50-60Hz on up.

Mine didn't have the low end excursion that I wanted. These definitely do. Probably too much.

notorious 10-16-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10092324)
Mine are tuned to 19.6 Hz and will extend much lower. They already shake my bar apart. That's going to be a problem.

LMAO

I love it. I wish I had the time to build some stuff.

I sold a bunch of JBL GTi (same as the high-end pro) gear 2 years ago. It didn't get the low end extension like a lot of the high XMAX speakers do now, but they sounded amazing and kicked major ass within their limits.


I still have a couple of experimental Image Dynamics subs from 9-10 years ago. They are basically what an ID Max would have been if they made it in 15". Not very many of them out there. My wife would apply foot-to-ass if I brought in a couple of big-ass sonotubes. :D

notorious 10-16-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10092329)
Mine didn't have the low end excursion that I wanted. These definitely do. Probably too much.

No kidding. :hmmm:


I was warned by many people on the internet that IB was touchy. You have to worry about cancellation issues.

That would suck to design a room around IB and have it sound like shit.

Silock 10-16-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10092344)
No kidding. :hmmm:


I was warned by many people on the internet that IB was touchy. You have to worry about cancellation issues.

That would suck to design a room around IB and have it sound like shit.

Yeah, I think it was probably my room more than anything else. The only good place to mount them was all in the rear or 30 feet away on the right hand side of the room. Not a good option either way.

With these, I'm going to put one in the rear left and one in the front right to balance it all out. And then maybe two more in the other corners if I can talk the wife into it ;)

And yes, these took WAY too long to make. Cutting a 24" sonotube level is a pain in the ASS. Took a couple of days to figure out how to do it well.

notorious 10-16-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10092353)
Yeah, I think it was probably my room more than anything else. The only good place to mount them was all in the rear or 30 feet away on the right hand side of the room. Not a good option either way.

With these, I'm going to put one in the rear left and one in the front right to balance it all out. And then maybe two more in the other corners if I can talk the wife into it ;)

And yes, these took WAY too long to make. Cutting a 24" sonotube level is a pain in the ASS. Took a couple of days to figure out how to do it well.

Roll it over a table saw?

notorious 10-16-2013 07:37 PM

You must have used some long clamps to hold while the glue dried.

As far as placement, I know I like my bass up-front, but it depends on where you have those beasts crossed over.

When I was into car audio SQ the bass heads with 15's crossed over at 150hz hammering from the back drove me nuts.

notorious 10-16-2013 07:49 PM

What are you powering them with?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.