ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   U.S. Issues An interesting hole in evolutionary theory (as we understand it) (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279476)

Taco John 12-13-2013 02:02 AM

An interesting hole in evolutionary theory (as we understand it)
 
I came across this in my travels tonight, and thought it might make for an eye-brow raiser...

The long and short of it - some researchers decided to reverse apply Moore's Law to human biology. Using their Moore's Law-based computations, they first applied it to modern computers, and came up with the right answer - that microchips showed up right around the 1960's.

They then took the same computations and applied it to biological complexity (which, of course, humans are the pinnacle of as we know it). The results suggest that life began 5 billion years before the Earth even existed...

http://cdn.physorg.com/newman/gfx/ne.../jhvhrdes3.jpg

What it really means, who knows... The researchers who ran the computations refused to call it a theory and instead label it a "thought excersize" (the cowards!). In any case, it's pretty damned interesting.

The article can be read here:
http://phys.org/news/2013-04-law-life-began-earth.html

KChiefer 12-13-2013 02:42 AM

How is this a hole in evolution?

It would simply mean nucleotides were first formed elsewhere...then came here, likely via comet.

It says more about how we couldn't have been planted here by intelligent life, and that nobody's ever actually been abducted by space aliens.

If it would have calculated that life is older than the universe, then you'd be onto something.

Brainiac 12-13-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 10273862)
What it really means, who knows... The researchers who ran the computations refused to call it a theory and instead label it a "thought excersize" (the cowards!). In any case, it's pretty damned interesting.

The article can be read here:
http://phys.org/news/2013-04-law-life-began-earth.html

They didn't call it a theory because it isn't a theory. There is no scientific basis to it. It was nothing more than a fun little game they were playing. That's why they called it a thought exercise, not a theory.

There is no relationship between Moore's Law and evolutionary biology. Moore's Law simply states that the number of transistors on integrated circuits approximately doubles every two years. What does that have to do with evolutionary biology? It's like measuring how long it takes to build a ping pong table and deciding that that knowledge tells you something about the growth rate of bananas.

FD 12-13-2013 08:25 AM

Uh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_explosion

KC native 12-13-2013 08:32 AM

ROFL @ teej

KChiefer 12-13-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FD (Post 10274078)

Day 3. Got it.

Dave Lane 12-13-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10273871)
They didn't call it a theory because it isn't a theory. There is no scientific basis to it. It was nothing more than a fun little game they were playing. That's why they called it a thought exercise, not a theory.

There is no relationship between Moore's Law and evolutionary biology. Moore's Law simply states that the number of transistors on integrated circuits approximately doubles every two years. What does that have to do with evolutionary biology? It's like measuring how long it takes to build a ping pong table and deciding that that knowledge tells you something about the growth rate of bananas.

Exactly. Why evolution would have to follow Moores law borders on stevieray territory.

Fish 12-13-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 10273862)
The long and short of it - some researchers decided to reverse apply Moore's Law to human biology.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/401/tkes.png

J Diddy 12-13-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10273871)
They didn't call it a theory because it isn't a theory. There is no scientific basis to it. It was nothing more than a fun little game they were playing. That's why they called it a thought exercise, not a theory.

There is no relationship between Moore's Law and evolutionary biology. Moore's Law simply states that the number of transistors on integrated circuits approximately doubles every two years. What does that have to do with evolutionary biology? It's like measuring how long it takes to build a ping pong table and deciding that that knowledge tells you something about the growth rate of bananas.

Exactly. However, I have studied extensively the growth rate of bananas. When using my research and then applying it to ping pong tables I can calculate how long it will take to build a ping pong table using bananas as the sole tool.

It's remarkable stuff. I think I'll make it my thesis.

Taco John 12-13-2013 09:39 AM

Always such imaginative people here. Moore's law has shown to cross barriers to other realms. http://www.nature.com/news/moore-s-l...puters-1.12548

Whether it's a universal principle is up for debate, but there are plenty of scientists who entertain the idea...

J Diddy 12-13-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 10274257)
Always such imaginative people here. Moore's law has shown to cross barriers to other realms. http://www.nature.com/news/moore-s-l...puters-1.12548

Whether it's a universal principle is up for debate, but there are plenty of scientists who entertain the idea...

The answer is 7 hours. That's how long it takes to build a ping pong table using just bananas.

Brainiac 12-13-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 10274257)
Always such imaginative people here. Moore's law has shown to cross barriers to other realms. http://www.nature.com/news/moore-s-l...puters-1.12548

Whether it's a universal principle is up for debate, but there are plenty of scientists who entertain the idea...

It's always a good idea to double down when your OP has been thoroughly debunked. Just ask LoneIguana.

Sannyasi 12-13-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 10274257)
Always such imaginative people here. Moore's law has shown to cross barriers to other realms. http://www.nature.com/news/moore-s-l...puters-1.12548

Whether it's a universal principle is up for debate, but there are plenty of scientists who entertain the idea...

Considering Moore's Law doesn't even work for computers anymore, I would be skeptical about trying to apply it to other fields.

Mr. Kotter 12-13-2013 10:12 AM

:spock:


ROFL

Brainiac 12-13-2013 10:23 AM

I see what's going on here. Taco John is trying to fill the lunatic gap that was created when Chris616 was vaporized out of existence.

Based upon this thread, he's off to a pretty good start.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.