ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   U.S. Issues No Such Thing as a Free Lunch (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280549)

gblowfish 01-10-2014 10:01 AM

No Such Thing as a Free Lunch

Unless, of course, you're a congressman:

http://tinyurl.com/jwwkhj9

WASHINGTON -- Weeks after Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.) made headlines for suggesting low-income students sweep cafeteria floors to learn there's "no such thing as free lunch," Savannah TV station WSAV 3 looked at the "free lunches" Kingston himself has received as a member of Congress.

There's no precise way to count the number of lunches Kingston has enjoyed on taxpayer dollars, but the station took a look at expense reports and disclosures to uncover staggering figures from the congressman's three years in office.

According to the station's investigation, Kingston and his staff have expensed $4,182 worth of "meals for business purposes," and recorded $4,289.33 in free meals from third-party interest groups, including the Congressional Institute and the Georgia Bankers Association.

As a member of the House Appropriations Committee, Kingston has traveled to four continents, racking up $24,313 in per diem allowances. While the allowances were allotted for more than just lunch money, midday meals were included.

When WSAV 3 asked Kingston whether he believes members of Congress "work hard," the congressman "defended his work ethic," saying he works 60 hours to 70 hours a week.

"That's what representative democracy is about, is members going to Washington, but coming home and answering the tough questions," Kingston told the station.

Beyond taxpayer dollars, Kingston has enjoyed many free meals on the campaign trail. WSAV 3 reported $145,391.26 in expensed meals and catering for campaign events, $26,066.45 of which was charged at the Republican Club of Capitol Hill, an exclusive, members only venue.

lawrenceRaider 01-10-2014 10:04 AM

To fairly judge this, we'd need to compare it to the rest of congress. We know they are all blood sucking leaches, but how's his "free lunch" compare to the rest of them.

HonestChieffan 01-10-2014 10:11 AM

I wonder how many working lunches I had in 30 years on an expense account.

I'd bet ave 3 a week. 1500 weeks would be like 4500 lunches.

Evil big business doing business.

KC native 01-10-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 10359219)
To fairly judge this, we'd need to compare it to the rest of congress. We know they are all blood sucking leaches, but how's his "free lunch" compare to the rest of them.

Um, that's not really relevant to the point being made.

vailpass 01-10-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10359248)
Um, that's not really relevant to the point being made.

It seems to go to the point that expensed lunches don't negate the "no free lunch" strategy as they are part of your job?

KC native 01-10-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10359253)
It seems to go to the point that expensed lunches don't negate the "no free lunch" strategy as they are part of your job?

No, this ****stick suggested kid who receive reduced or free lunches should do community service to "earn" their lunches. Considering all the teeth gnashing over both sides in congress/senate and how they don't do anything, pointing out his hypocrisy was the point.

HonestChieffan 01-10-2014 10:28 AM

I had lunch last week with a client who paid. Dinner one night last week with a supplier who paid. Going to have lunch Monday with another who will pay. And next Wednesday Im taking a client to lunch and will expense against my business.

vailpass 01-10-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10359261)
No, this ****stick suggested kid who receive reduced or free lunches should do community service to "earn" their lunches. Considering all the teeth gnashing over both sides in congress/senate and how they don't do anything, pointing out his hypocrisy was the point.

I see your point. No question children should be fed. Imho the animosity is directed at those parents that don't feed their kids when they could if they would just get off their ass...would have been better if it was suggested the parents do the service.

KC native 01-10-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10359271)
I see your point. No question children should be fed. Imho the animosity is directed at those parents that don't feed their kids when they could if they would just get off their ass...

Um, no

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 10359219)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 10359236)
I wonder how many working lunches I had in 30 years on an expense account.

I'd bet ave 3 a week. 1500 weeks would be like 4500 lunches.

Evil big business doing business.

vailpass 01-10-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10359274)
Um, no

Change "is" to "should be".

HonestChieffan 01-10-2014 10:36 AM

We should not expect any individual to do things that would even remotely imply they earned it. It should be given. We are entitled to food.

KC native 01-10-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10359278)
Change "is" to "should be".

Works for me.

vailpass 01-10-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 10359284)
We should not expect any individual to do things that would even remotely imply they earned it. It should be given. We are entitled to food.

Children are entitled to food, yes. What kind of country would we be otherwise?

Mr. Kotter 01-10-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10359332)
Children are entitled to food, yes. What kind of country would we be otherwise?

HCF is the poster boy for the "I Got Mine, Screw the Rest of Ya'all (including the impoverished and children)" faction of the Tea Party Republicans. He'd just as soon see a return to feudalism, as admit the government serves any legitimate function as a safety net.

HonestChieffan 01-10-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 10359364)
HCF is the poster boy for the "I Got Mine, Screw the Rest of Ya'all (including the impoverished and children)" faction of the Tea Party Republicans. He'd just as soon see a return to feudalism, as admit the government serves any legitimate function as a safety net.

Nicely said. Good to see your asshurt driven hyperbole is still intact.