ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers The end of ethernet? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287397)

srvy 10-12-2014 04:48 PM

The end of ethernet?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...eeds-fivefold/

If you believe Samsung then yes it could be.

kcxiv 10-12-2014 04:53 PM

i hope not, to much interference from items when gaming. At least it used to be. When i game i always go wired. ALWAYS

DaFace 10-12-2014 05:06 PM

I can't imagine ethernet will go away any time soon. Even if WiFi speeds are able to keep up with it, I can't imagine it will be as reliable or secure.

Mr. Laz 10-12-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 11008784)
i hope not, to much interference from items when gaming. At least it used to be. When i game i always go wired. ALWAYS

This

not sure why/how they would get rid of it

I guess they could stop putting ports on motherboards but that would just be a pain in the ass, not the end.

srvy 10-12-2014 05:35 PM

But if Samsung is to be believed they say they solved the interference problem. This is down the road a bit so I guess we will see in a year or two.

Saulbadguy 10-12-2014 09:25 PM

Thread title fail.

007 10-13-2014 04:37 AM

might happen but it won't be that soon.

Valiant 10-13-2014 04:58 AM

Never, nothing will be as stable as a line. Now maybe they can come up some new cable that can take more information with the same ping/latency.

Wireless always has the chance for interference also.

Aspengc8 10-13-2014 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11010340)
might happen but it won't be that soon.

Won't happen in our generation. Ethernet has been at 40 & 100G for a few years now, and they *just* stumbled across this wifi speed. It won't replace backbone/backhaul ever, just based on distance limitations alone.

srvy 10-13-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 11009858)
Thread title fail.

Yes I jumped the gun on the title.

what I found searching Wikipedia and yeah I know its not always accurate.

"Quote:
The 60 GHz signal cannot typically penetrate walls but can propagate off reflections from walls, ceilings, floors and objects using beamforming built into the WiGig system. When roaming away from the main room the protocol can switch to make use of the other lower bands at a much lower rate, but which propagate through walls."

this article indicates that the 60GHz signal can not penetrate walls/floors. That's what I'd assumed. That'd mean that the multi-gig wifi signal would be limited to the same room or at best where a reflected signal can be received. That'd mean that simply closing a door would would trigger the signal to revert to back the slower 2.4 or 5GHz bands. I wonder if the plan would allow/require mutiple wired repeaters throughout a building. That said, same room wireless communication at theses speeds would allow for wireless transmission of HD video and audio, simplifying the placement of AV equipment.

So in short multi rooms would require wired repeaters most likely unless Samsung has figured this out also.

srvy 10-13-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 11009858)
Thread title fail.

NERD MOMENT!

Ethernet was invented as a wireless technology back in 1970s by Bob Metcalf and his team. The "Ether" part of the name referred to the wireless nature of sharing the same frequencies for multiple connections to communicate. All the protocols to deal with packet collisions and re-sending were about the wireless requirements of connecting Hawaiian islands together on a single computer network.

Later those packet layer protocols were applied to using coaxial wire to connect computers together then switching made collision detection unnecessary, but all the error correction aspects are still used.

Technically, Wi-Fi uses Ethernet protocols. So, technically, Ethernet is growing as Wi-Fi grows.

The title of the thread should be "The End of Cabled Networks?"

NERD OUT!!!

Aspengc8 10-13-2014 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11010560)
NERD MOMENT!

Ethernet was invented as a wireless technology back in 1970s by Bob Metcalf and his team. The "Ether" part of the name referred to the wireless nature of sharing the same frequencies for multiple connections to communicate. All the protocols to deal with packet collisions and re-sending were about the wireless requirements of connecting Hawaiian islands together on a single computer network.

Later those packet layer protocols were applied to using coaxial wire to connect computers together then switching made collision detection unnecessary, but all the error correction aspects are still used.

Technically, Wi-Fi uses Ethernet protocols. So, technically, Ethernet is growing as Wi-Fi grows.

The title of the thread should be "The End of Cabled Networks?"

NERD OUT!!!

WiFi's limit is always going to be distance. There's also no need for speeds as high as 1G locally on a LAN, video conferencing relies more on prioritization/class of service than total pipe size. My company has been deploying 40 & 100G ethernet services for the last 5 or so years, I don't see wifi coming anywhere near that, as its simply not needed and cost prohibitive.