ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Doctors will attempt a head transplant (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291821)

Hammock Parties 04-11-2015 10:56 AM

Doctors will attempt a head transplant

It's exactly what it sounds like.

http://www.businessinsider.com/valer...nsplant-2015-4

Quote:

In a procedure that would be nothing short of revolutionary, a 30-year-old Russian man has volunteered to be the first to have his head transplanted onto another human body.

In an interview with Russia Today, Valery Spiridonov, the volunteer, explained that he has a rare muscle condition called Werdnig-Hoffmann disorder, aka spinal muscular atrophy, which causes one's muscles to waste away and has no known cure.

He believes the surgery could help prolong his life and also be a huge boon for scientific research.

"I'm very interested in technology, and anything progressive that might change people's lives for the better," Spiridonov told RT. "Doing this isn't only an excellent opportunity for me, but will also create a scientific basis for future generations, no matter what the actual outcome of the surgery is."

The operation will reportedly last up to 36 hours and cost an estimated $11 million. The entire procedure will require the assistance of around 150 doctors and nurses. RT also reports that the whole operation will be orchestrated by Dr. Sergio Canavero, a renowned neurosurgeon and director of the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group in Turin, Italy.

Dr. Canavero explained this procedure — called "HEAVEN," an acronym for "head anastomosis venture" — in a TedX talk in December, embedded here.

Spiridonov's new body will be taken from "a brain-dead but otherwise healthy donor," and Spiridonov's brain will be cooled down to between 50 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit to prolong the time brain cells can survive without oxygen. The spinal cord will be cut with a special scalpel that's especially sharp, and the head will be reconnected to the new body and spinal cord with "a special biological glue."

Once the operation is finished, Spiridonov will be put into a coma for around three to four weeks to prevent any movement, and he will be given immunosuppressents so his body doesn't reject the new head.

Though this surgery could be a major breakthrough in science, some doctors believe there are too many risks involved in such a long, complicated, and dangerous procedure. Dr. Hunt Batjer, president-elect of the American Association for Neurological Surgeons, told CNN, "I would not wish this on anyone ... I would not allow anyone to do it to me as there are a lot of things worse than death."

Still, Spiridonov says he is aware of the risks. He believes this will do more good than harm.

"This technology is similar to the first man to walk in space," he told RT. "This is because in the future it will help thousands of people who are in an even more deplorable state than I am."

Dr. Canavero hopes to complete the head transplant operation on Spiridonov in 2017.

WeathermanKumke 04-11-2015 11:04 AM

Couldn't end up worse than Matt Cassel's QB play

alnorth 04-11-2015 11:05 AM

Thats pretty cool. He very likely won't survive the surgery and he probably knows that, but medical science could learn a lot from the attempt.

Hammock Parties 04-11-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11430656)
medical science could learn a lot from the attempt.

"So the operation failed, but we learned that you can't ****ing put someone's head on another person's body."

WeathermanKumke 04-11-2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numbah One (Post 11430658)
"So the operation failed, but we learned that you can't ****ing put someone's head on another person's body."

I'm surprised Medevil times didn't prove this with Kings.

http://gfycat.com/BriskImmaterialFluke

Mr. Laz 04-11-2015 11:10 AM

Head transplant or body transplant?

GloucesterChief 04-11-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11430656)
Thats pretty cool. He very likely won't survive the surgery and he probably knows that, but medical science could learn a lot from the attempt.

Considering his condition basically makes for a long and slow death as your muscles waste away no matter what you do.

I would assume that a relatively quick and painless death from the surgery would be more welcome.

alnorth 04-11-2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 11430663)
Head transplant or body transplant?

Dunno. The head is facing the rejection risk which suggests a head transplant, but the person is in the head and he's getting a new body which suggests a body transplant.

Discuss Thrower 04-11-2015 11:19 AM

Brave new ****in' world, guys.

GloucesterChief 04-11-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11430673)
Brave new ****in' world, guys.

Just wait until we can fix genetic conditions and then 3D print new organs from your own genetic material so very small chance of rejection. The expected human lifespan will grow in multiples in the next half a century.

Discuss Thrower 04-11-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 11430674)
Just wait until we can fix genetic conditions and then 3D print new organs from your own genetic material so very small chance of rejection. The expected human lifespan will grow in multiples in the next half a century.

We should get a handle on the whole overpopulation thing first.

GloucesterChief 04-11-2015 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11430676)

We already know the answer to that. Industrialization. Industrial societies need less humans and less land to generate wealth and feed people. The problems in most areas that are chronically poor are political/social rather than technological.

Discuss Thrower 04-11-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 11430679)
We already know the answer to that. Industrialization. Industrial societies need less humans and less land to generate wealth and feed people. The problems in most areas that are chronically poor are political/social rather than technological.

Not going to happen fast enough.

J Diddy 04-11-2015 12:05 PM

Patient: Give me head
Doctor: That'll be $11 million

J Diddy 04-11-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11430676)

Food supply will take care of that.