ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Media Streaming Devices (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=292139)

DaFace 04-26-2015 04:59 PM

Media Streaming Devices

I've been trying out a Roku after using a Chromecast exclusively for a while, and I'm honestly near the point of converting. Though I love being able to use phone interfaces to browse for shows, there is something really nice about simply being able to use a real remote from time to time.

Anyway, here's a thread for a meta discussion about devices. We'll start with a poll - what do you use today?

DaFace 04-26-2015 05:13 PM

As mentioned in the OP, I'm pretty evenly split between the Chromecast and a Roku 2 XS. From my perspective:
  • Chromecast
    • Pros
      • I love the ability to cast stuff from my phone. The interfaces are usually way quicker and the on-screen keyboard is much better than tap tap tap tap tap on other devices.
      • Screen casting (either from phone or PC) is a nice backup for media that won't otherwise work.
      • At $30 a pop, you can load up every TV in your house with them for the cost of one Roku 3 (though the Stick works fine as well).
    • Cons
      • It seems to be a little finicky when it comes to connectivity. Sometimes, a Chromecast device just won't show up as being available.
      • Amazon hates Google, so there's not really a good way to do Prime Instant Video.
  • Roku
    • Pros
      • Not tied to any ecosystem, so seems to have the most support of any of the options.
      • You can at least use your phone as a control, so you can technically use a phone keyboard to control it, though it's not great.
      • I don't have to explain how to use it when guests visit.
    • Cons
      • Seems like the apps don't get updated as fast as the Chromecast apps do since the latter are really just phone apps.

007 04-26-2015 05:27 PM

As long as it supports XBMC I'm good

NewChief 04-26-2015 05:50 PM

Split between Netflix and Amazon on my Wii and other stuff on my Gbox with Kodi. If I can watch it on Netflux or Amazon, I do just because of reliability and consistency of stream. For stuff I can't get there, I switch over to Kodi.

listopencil 04-26-2015 05:56 PM

What are you casting from your phone, media on the phone or media from another source with the phone as the controller? You can do both with a Roku and the Roku phone app.

BigMeatballDave 04-26-2015 06:01 PM

I use a Slimport for my phone to connect to my TV.

BigMeatballDave 04-26-2015 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 11460830)
What are you casting from your phone, media on the phone or media from another source with the phone as the controller? You can do both with a Roku and the Roku phone app.

I torrent movies and TV shows to my phone and watch Netflix from it. HDMI plugs into the Slimport.

DaveNull 04-26-2015 06:49 PM

I've got an AppleTV that I wish was more useful than it is at this point.

Most of my video streaming happens through my Google Fiber TV boxes. They'll stream almost any type of video right off the storage box.

Since Spotify arrived on the PS4 I've been listening to a ton of Spotify while I play games, but I don't think that's what you're interested in here.

Buehler445 04-26-2015 07:22 PM

I just have a laptop hooked up through HDMI and a wireless keyboard/mouse

kcxiv 04-27-2015 12:44 AM

I have 2 tv portable drive I download directly to it the plug it into my blu Ray player