ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Stanford Prison Experiment (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=294144)

The Franchise 08-25-2015 01:35 PM

The Stanford Prison Experiment

Didn't realize that there was a movie being made about it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3XN2X72jrFk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

True story.....read about it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanfo...son_experiment

Spoiler!

mdchiefsfan 08-27-2015 06:43 PM

I remember hearing about this is psych 101. This case was the poster boy for why review boards now exist. It's pretty wicked the extent Zimbardo went to, in order to have this study.

Miles 08-27-2015 11:38 PM

Been a long time since I have seen it but remember Das Experiment being pretty good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250258/

There was also a US remake a few years back that I'd guess is not as good.

Gonzo 08-30-2015 06:28 PM

Yep, I'll be seeing it. Just an FYI for you all...

I recently hired a corrections officer from the county prison in KC. He's got 20 years experience. I hired him for 12 bucks an hour and he was amazed that a private security guard makes more than a corrections officer with 20 on the job.

mdchiefsfan 08-30-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 11694967)
Yep, I'll be seeing it. Just an FYI for you all...

I recently hired a corrections officer from the county prison in KC. He's got 20 years experience. I hired him for 12 bucks an hour and he was amazed that a private security guard makes more than a corrections officer with 20 on the job.

He was making less than $12 an hour?!

Gonzo 08-30-2015 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 11694979)
He was making less than $12 an hour?!

Now then, there's an asterisk. He was at his current prison for only 3 years.
He did have 20 experience and all in Missouri, though.

Oh and these prisons were the serious, "pound you in the ass" ones. Not the country club rich-boy prisons.

mdchiefsfan 08-30-2015 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 11695012)

Now then, there's an asterisk. He was at his current prison for only 3 years.
He did have 20 experience and all in Missouri, though.

Oh and these prisons were the serious, "pound you in the ass" ones. Not the country club rich-boy prisons.

He was in the wrong state then. In MD you can start around $40,000-$45,000/ year. That is robbery. Private security does offer much more in terms of a higher ceiling; you just have to get into the right places and make decent contacts.

Gonzo 08-31-2015 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 11695052)
He was in the wrong state then. In MD you can start around $40,000-$45,000/ year. That is robbery. Private security does offer much more in terms of a higher ceiling; you just have to get into the right places and make decent contacts.

Yep. I've been in the biz since 1998 and if you know your shit, you can do well. I got lucky a lot.

I live in Omaha and CO's here average about 13. For **** sake, our max-fed pin in Tecumseh pays around 13, not nearly enough to keep it staffed, (so I've read) not to mention the kinda shit the CO's have to deal with.
They don't make nearly enough.

mdchiefsfan 08-31-2015 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 11695515)
Yep. I've been in the biz since 1998 and if you know your shit, you can do well. I got lucky a lot.

I live in Omaha and CO's here average about 13. For **** sake, our max-fed pin in Tecumseh pays around 13, not nearly enough to keep it staffed, (so I've read) not to mention the kinda shit the CO's have to deal with.
They don't make nearly enough.

I've been in it since 2005. Every promotion or advancement has been a direct result of knowing the right person. I am currently a corporate manager of LP, working with two former co-workers above me. I've just come to realize that when shit hits the fan in security, familiarity trumps all.

Well good on you for taking on the CO. His quality of life, alongside the increase of pay, will certainly create a content, loyal employee.

Fire Me Boy! 07-01-2016 11:56 AM

This has been playing on HBO or Showtime recently. It's really good, well worth the 2-hour time investment.

Otter 07-01-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 11695052)

Back in PA my buddy started out at $25hr, great benefits and unionized at a country prison. With nothing but job security if you could handle going into work everyday. He's probably going to retire before me and I've been working in IT with an EE and BS degree</br></br>Gonzo, tell you're boy to move to PA or MD for a couple years. That's ****ing ridiculous for having to deal with convicts all day it's a 13 hour drive back or 1 hour flight.</br></br>

Otter 07-01-2016 02:55 PM

As far as this as a movie: I think this makes a great documentary but a movie? I'm spectacle.

Cheater5 07-01-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 12298129)
As far as this as a movie: I think this makes a great documentary but a movie? I'm spectacle.

I think you may be skeptical, but perhaps you are a visually stunning person as well and truly are a spectacle.

Otter 07-01-2016 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheater5 (Post 12298158)
I think you may be skeptical, but perhaps you are a visually stunning person as well and truly are a spectacle.

:D...spell check errors have their moments.

mdchiefsfan 07-01-2016 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 12298118)
Back in PA my buddy started out at $25hr, great benefits and unionized at a country prison. With nothing but job security if you could handle going into work everyday. He's probably going to retire before me and I've been working in IT with an EE and BS degree</br></br>Gonzo, tell you're boy to move to PA or MD for a couple years. That's ****ing ridiculous for having to deal with convicts all day it's a 13 hour drive back or 1 hour flight.</br></br>

:clap: