ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Burnt ends: when to cube? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=297131)

cdcox 12-31-2015 02:33 PM

Burnt ends: when to cube?

My dad cooked a full brisket and we want to make burnt ends with the point. Brisket is already cooked.

So when you make burnt ends, do you cube the point before you put it back on the smoker or after you are 100% done with the smoker?

Do you think it would matter whether the final cooking was done on the grill or the smoker? Meat doesn't take up much smoke flavor after it's been cooked.

threebag 12-31-2015 02:36 PM

Cube'em and throw'em in the oven. You're only looking for the heat.

KCUnited 12-31-2015 02:38 PM

I cut the point off when I pull the brisket, cube it, throw them in a foil pan, put it back on the smoker, and sauce them when nearing done. I don't think it would matter whether you threw them on the smoker or a grill, but unless your smoker is all the way cool, may as well throw them back on. Unless you vac seal them for later or something.

cdcox 12-31-2015 02:41 PM

Thanks, guys. Rep to you both!

philfree 12-31-2015 03:59 PM

I'll do mine the next day sometimes. I don't make my cubes real cubey and will actually chop up some of the brisket as well. I put the meat in a plastic container and add some BBQ sauce along with some jack and brown sugar. I let it set over night. Then I crank the smoker up the next day and smoke them for about 30 minutes. After that I'll put them in the oven on broil just long enough to get a little more char on top. Pull them out and enjoy. Some call it Burnt Ends I call mine Beef Candy.

Red Dawg 12-31-2015 04:24 PM

Are burnt ends at jacks any good?

Dunit35 12-31-2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 11988461)

I've always liked them but I'm sure there are better around there.

O.city 12-31-2015 05:07 PM

I like mine in the oven.

And I think joes has the best burnt ends but they don't have them everyday iirc

HonestChieffan 12-31-2015 05:36 PM

Sauce on Burnt ends at finish? Everybody is a BBQ expert and I admire all but I never do such a thing...

Cube em sure its ok, but finish on the smoker if at all possible. Even if the next day you heat in oven, do all you can to finish on the smoker...in a foil pan so any lovely juice is retained...in fact I try to catch as much juice as possible the last half of the smoke.

If you did good brisket, have a beer, you are a king, the ends will work out, tell the old man he done good.

Happy new year!!

jspchief 12-31-2015 09:20 PM

I don't sauce mine before they go back on the smoker but I hit them with more rub.

Just Passin' By 01-01-2016 02:46 AM

Cook's country gave burnt ends the ATK treatment:

http://www.kcet.org/living/food/the-...urnt-ends.html

2bikemike 01-01-2016 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 11988461)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 11988471)
I've always liked them but I'm sure there are better around there.

I could be wrong and it may only be my opinion but I think true Burnt Ends are made from the point only. I think any BBQ joint that has a constant supply of Burnt Ends are using every part of the brisket and calling them Burnt Ends. This is why places like Joe's don't always have them. I think Jacks also has other meats that they call Burnt Ends.

As for my smoking preference I will throw the whole Point back on the smoker before chopping. And as was mentioned Pure Beef Candy! Freaking deliciousness!

Fire Me Boy! 01-01-2016 08:18 AM

Jack Stack's burnt ends ARE NOT BURNT ENDS. **** JACK STACK!

ILChief 01-01-2016 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11989178)
Jack Stack's burnt ends ARE NOT BURNT ENDS. **** JACK STACK!

I didn't know this. What are they?

Fire Me Boy! 01-01-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 11989189)
I didn't know this. What are they?

About 1-inch square cubes of brisket. Nothing special, except the price.