ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Streaming boxes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=301683)

Boise_Chief 08-22-2016 06:54 PM

Streaming boxes

We are considering going to over the air locals and streaming all other tv. Any tips or guidance is appreciated.

We have 7 tvs currently on directtv. We are thinking about going to 2 boxes probably roku 3 and mirroring a couple of the tvs. The kids dont watch tv in their rooms so it would be.

The living room that is mirrored to the master bedroom and the theatre room mirrored to the garage.

Any help on what would be the most user friendly box that would have the ability to run good programing including hbo go.

Thx. Boise

Clyde Frog 08-22-2016 07:19 PM

I've had all the major boxes (Fire, Roku Stick, Roku Box, Chrome, Sling Box) and Roku seems to be the fastest and has the best interactive menus/screens. It runs all the big time apps including HBO Go.

Boise_Chief 08-22-2016 07:22 PM

What has been your experience with streaming boxes. How much do you spend etc. We are looking at upgraded internet which will add about 20 per month.

How long did it take to get used to, and have you found yourself missing things.

CoMoChief 08-22-2016 07:31 PM

Anyone heard or know anything about the Infinity box? (not Comcast)

Heard it plays everything...sports, HBO, PPV everything. Wouldn't need Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Sling etc...

Seems too good to be true, which it probably is.

Clyde Frog 08-22-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boise_Chief (Post 12381756)
What has been your experience with streaming boxes. How much do you spend etc. We are looking at upgraded internet which will add about 20 per month.

How long did it take to get used to, and have you found yourself missing things.

Roku will run you around 80 a pop but the 3 is well worth it. It is really easy to get used to. I like the menu layout and how quick it is to switch between apps. Upgraded internet will be a wash with the money you're saving cutting the cord. I miss watching the news and live sports but if you have Netflix and a buddy who has cable you can easily trade your Netflix/Hulu logins for his/her cable net logins and you'll be fine. Just go for it. You'll never look back.

Boise_Chief 08-22-2016 07:45 PM

What types of pay apps do you use. Hbo go is a given she'd melt down if she misses GOT.

Fish 08-22-2016 08:11 PM

Depends... do you want legit pay sources, or do you want to pirate?

thabear04 08-22-2016 08:12 PM

My friend has this box.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...oads/image.jpg

Coochie liquor 08-22-2016 08:12 PM

A friend of mine bought a jailbroke fire box. I'm waiting to hear back on his review of it. Not that I'd buy one as they're probably illegal. Anyone else have a friend with a box like this?

Boise_Chief 08-22-2016 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 12381834)
Depends... do you want legit pay sources, or do you want to pirate?

It depends on ease and liability. I currently pay 160 per mo to direct tv. I can stand to pay as long as it doesnt add up to a bunch. I haven't even looked at what the pay apps cost.

Fish 08-22-2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 12381836)
A friend of mine bought a jailbroke fire box. I'm waiting to hear back on his review of it. Not that I'd buy one as they're probably illegal. Anyone else have a friend with a box like this?

Technically, you don't "Jailbreak" an Android device. The term is "Rooted" for admin control of Android devices. Regardless, the Amazon FireTV doesn't need to be jailbroken or rooted to run an app that will give you every movie/TV show you'd ever want to watch. It's called KODI. There are lots of existing threads here in the Multimedia forum regarding this. I'd be happy to answer any questions. I can tell you how to do just about anything possible with any Android streaming device...

Fish 08-22-2016 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boise_Chief (Post 12381864)
It depends on ease and liability. I currently pay 160 per mo to direct tv. I can stand to pay as long as it doesnt add up to a bunch. I haven't even looked at what the pay apps cost.

Well ease and liability leans toward a pirating solution. Nobody in the US has been arrested for streaming movies or TV. So you're safe there. The only way you run into issue there is if you were hosting a movie for others to download/stream. There are pay solutions available for most stuff if you feel ethically inclined to do so. But there are free solutions available as well. KODI with plugins....

LTL 08-22-2016 08:53 PM

We ditched cable a few months ago.

HD antenna for OTA. 2 firetv boxes and a couple of fire sticks. We have netflix, hulu and amazon prime and then for now I also wanted to use Sony Vue streaming service, the most basic one. Thanks to Fish and the tutorials that are provided here in the media center installed KODI on both fire tvs.

Ive had the Roku boxes before, they are good, just prefer the fire tvs is all, that part is gonna be preference and what you want from it.

Their really isn't anything I can say I miss though. Once you get used to it you will never look back and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Boise_Chief 08-22-2016 08:57 PM

Searching kodi and fire tv now

Coochie liquor 08-23-2016 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 12381869)
Technically, you don't "Jailbreak" an Android device. The term is "Rooted" for admin control of Android devices. Regardless, the Amazon FireTV doesn't need to be jailbroken or rooted to run an app that will give you every movie/TV show you'd ever want to watch. It's called KODI. There are lots of existing threads here in the Multimedia forum regarding this. I'd be happy to answer any questions. I can tell you how to do just about anything possible with any Android streaming device...

Thanks. I've seen the Kodi threads but really had no idea what they were about so haven't gone into them. I will be checking them out now that I know what they are about.