ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NFL considering player ejections for dangerous hits (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306763)

thabear04 03-23-2017 06:42 AM

NFL considering player ejections for dangerous hits

The NFL Competition Committee will have a busy agenda next week when it meets in Phoenix for the Annual League Meeting, according to NFL vice president Troy Vincent. One provision the group is exploring in particular could have a profound impact on games this coming year.

The Committee is also exploring ways — including considering immediate ejections or suspensions — to take dangerous hits out of our game

We'll communicate this to our coaches and players with video examples of flagrant hits that may result in ejection or suspension

The development comes on the heels of last year's provision, which implemented an automatic ejection system for players who committed two personal fouls in the same game. It mirrors the controversial, if effective rule that granted NCAA officials similar power. The NCAA agreed at the beginning of the month to uphold their version of the targeting rule for the 2017 season.

"The change we have witnessed in player behavior has been significantly positive," NCAA rules committee chair Bob Nielson said in a release. "The adjustment made last year to allow the replay official to examine all aspects of the targeting rule was a positive change."

Other items for discussion include the development of an "educational training video for players to show clear examples of appropriate and inappropriate celebrations." Referees battled criticism this past season for what critics called an uneven interpretation of what celebrations constitute taunting and which were excessive.

Buehler445 03-23-2017 06:54 AM

The idea has been tossed out here before that if someone goes out on a flagged hit, that the offending player needs to sit the same time.

Dartgod 03-23-2017 06:56 AM

I wonder how the refs will determine what is dangerous?

Laying a fingernail on Tom Brady = Dangerous

Blasting Alex Smith's head into the turf = Not Dangerous

notorious 03-23-2017 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 12794221)
I wonder how the refs will determine what is dangerous?

Laying a fingernail on Tom Brady = Dangerous

Blasting Alex Smith's head into the turf = Not Dangerous

Dayze 03-23-2017 07:20 AM

yay, more subjectivity.

that's been working swimmingly on holding and DPI calls.

Titty Meat 03-23-2017 07:38 AM

They do this in college football and honestly it's a disaster.

Dayze 03-23-2017 07:52 AM

I'm sure the definition of "Dangerous" will be crystal clear.

chiefzilla1501 03-23-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12794241)
They do this in college football and honestly it's a disaster.

I usually hate subjective officiating. But the biggest disaster is how many games and seasons are influenced by players getting knocked out of games or seasons. The nfl is getting uncomfortable to watch. I don't want a team to win the Super Bowl because they were lucky enough to keep a qb healthy. And a 15 yard penalty means nothing if the offense loses a star player to a concussion, while the defensive player stays in the game.

Targeting rules will be uncomfortable. But they're needed more than ever. Buehlers idea makes the most sense. If you knock a player out with an illegal hit, you should sit out an equal number of snaps.

KC_Lee 03-23-2017 07:58 AM

I say implement a penalty box for the NFL. Dangerous hit, in the box for X number of plays for that unit, either D or O. Other team gets a "power play" (11 vs. 10) until they either score or the number of plays a penalized player is out.

Rain Man 03-23-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 12794255)
I'm sure the definition of "Dangerous" will be crystal clear.

Dangerous (NFL adjective):

"Of potential harm to Tom Brady or someone he cares about."

"Any contact that may impact near-term television ratings and jersey sales."

siberian khatru 03-23-2017 08:07 AM

The league can't even agree on what a catch is anymore.

Easy 6 03-23-2017 08:11 AM

The march towards irrelevance continues

Eleazar 03-23-2017 08:19 AM

If they did that (hopefully they won't), it would need to be reviewed first to make sure that there really was contact to the head.

There have been way too many flags thrown for a receiver who was hit helmet to helmet, and then the replay afterward shows it was shoulder to shoulder, or the contact between helmets was incidental to the actual collision. And there are more situations where the contact was unavoidable.

Since the NFL just desires to slow down games and create more situations where nobody knows what the rules are, I'm certain this will go over like a fart in a spacesuit

Rooster 03-23-2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 12794262)
I say implement a penalty box for the NFL. Dangerous hit, in the box for X number of plays for that unit, either D or O. Other team gets a "power play" (11 vs. 10) until they either score or the number of plays a penalized player is out.

That would be insane and very entertaining.

MahiMike 03-23-2017 08:37 AM

About damn time. Always thought the yellow card/red card deal in soccer was a good idea. Fines won't stop these guys from killing each other but if a star player has to sit, the whole team will suffer.

That'll stop it right quick.