ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto A/C Question - Leaking Evaporator Coil (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308620)

KCUnited 07-06-2017 09:45 AM

A/C Question - Leaking Evaporator Coil

As the thread title states, the evaporator coil is leaking and needs replaced. They had to order a new coil from the manufacturer and it could take 5-7 business days. The a/c guy filled my refrigerant yesterday (for free) after diagnosing the leak. However, the first time they came out they tried to use a sealant, filled the refrigerant and it completely leaked out within 4 days and I had to wait another 5 days without any a/c to schedule them to come back out.

Is it possible to conserve the refrigerant that's currently in there by keeping my thermostat up high, limiting the time its running? Or is it leaking whether it's running or not? I know I'll likely still have to go a few days without a/c until the new coil arrives, but I'm trying to lessen that number as much as possible. It can touch low 90's inside during peak afternoon without a/c in here.

Fire Me Boy! 07-06-2017 10:02 AM

A/C Question - Leaking Evaporator Coil

The Langstrom 7″ wrench can be used with the Findlay sprocket.

Gonzo 07-06-2017 10:06 AM

This is a bugeater question but I think the refrigerant will leak out regardless since the system is pressurized. Not 100% sure though.

KCUnited 07-06-2017 10:11 AM

That's what I'm afraid of. I think my best bet is to try and have the part expedited.

ScareCrowe 07-06-2017 10:12 AM

It will leak out regardless of whether the unit is running or not. Honestly if its the evaporator coil it will actually leak slower when the unit is running as that is the low pressure side of the system. So when the compressor comes on the pressure in the coil will drop, when the unit isn't running the pressure will rise & it would leak faster.

KCUnited 07-06-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScareCrowe (Post 12945912)
It will leak out regardless of whether the unit is running or not. Honestly if its the evaporator coil it will actually leak slower when the unit is running as that is the low pressure side of the system. So when the compressor comes on the pressure in the coil will drop, when the unit isn't running the pressure will rise & it would leak faster.

Good to know, thx.

Bugeater 07-06-2017 12:40 PM

Assuming this is an old R22 system the fact that they filled it for free shocks the shit out of me. That stuff is like gold these days.

Also, one is risking their EPA license by filling a system they know is leaking.

KCUnited 07-06-2017 12:51 PM

It was the third time they'd been out since the 2nd week of June. First time they sealed it and filled it using a dye. Second time he replaced a valve where he found some dye, filled it, but missed the coil leak. Each time we had wait nearly a week to get them back out. We've nearly lived more days this summer without a/c than with, so I was sure to make that known.

EDIT: He may of filled it yesterday before completely determining it was the coil as he was troubleshooting.

Bugeater 07-06-2017 01:00 PM

Not going to say I've never done it. When it's 90+ out and someone's AC just went out for the second time of the year, you do what you have to do to get it going. Most big HVAC outfits won't do it though. Seems odd that it would take that long to get a new coil unless it's some oddball size. Especially in a big city like Chicago.

KCUnited 07-06-2017 01:16 PM

Could be. It's one of those rooftop AC/furnace units on the roof of our building. It's not super high up but you have to climb a ladder to get out there and it is hot as AF up there. As frustrated as I was/am, I know he'd much rather have diagnosed it immediately instead of coming back out. I have a reminded appreciation for people who work outside year round.

Nickhead 07-06-2017 04:22 PM

on/off topic but: even though i had never seen them myself in the states, does anyone use reverse cycle split A/C over there?

https://doxz7msmg7sxx.cloudfront.net...nditioner1.jpg

this is the most common air conditioner you will find here.

KCUnited 07-06-2017 04:34 PM

I had a mini split a/c installed inside my house in KC in addition to central air. It was perfect for the blown out attic that was remodeled into the master bedroom. I'd love one for our upstairs here but they won't let me cut a hole through the building.

Bugeater 07-06-2017 04:43 PM

I have been thinking about a mini split for a room that was added on to the end of my house since the existing ductwork cannot efficiently cool it in the summer. They are kinda pricey just for a supplemental system though.

Nickhead 07-06-2017 05:04 PM

our split system is in just the right spot in the house that it cools it entirely. all six rooms, upstairs and down. it's quite nice. :D

Chief Roundup 07-06-2017 06:08 PM

There is no way to "conserve" the refrigerant. The system is pressurized and it will leak out. At some point it will leak enough that your A coil will start freezing up into a block of ice. If you keep running it you could do damage to the compressor in your condenser unit. Granted the higher the pressure the quicker it will leak out. The pressures will be the highest when it is the hottest outside.
R-22 is going for $100 a lb down here right now. Nothing is free in this world you will likely see that somewhere in the bill. Hope for you it is R410a which still is over $50 a lb now.