ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ChiefsPlanet Super Bowl Coaches who didn't deserve credit? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308719)

Nickhead 07-13-2017 02:27 AM

Super Bowl Coaches who didn't deserve credit?

There are a lot of coaches that get fired, quit, or are traded. Then are replaced with someone else. Low and behold, the new coach finds himself in the Super Bowl. Two year window, Win or Lose, what coaches could you say, simply rode the coat tails of the previous regime to stardome? We all know Jimmy Johnson has three super bowl rings, and Switzer has none. Does Tomlin replacing Cower count? Gary Kubiak? What are your opinions on coaches that get more credit than they deserve.

Quote:

No other coach that I can think of has enjoyed a reputation built on such a flimsy foundation as Jon Gruden. Yes, he helped bring the Oakland Raiders back to respectability after a decade lost in the wilds. But in Oakland, he was never the big game coach the team needed, putting together a mediocre 2-2 playoff record. However, he made his bones by winning the Super Bowl following the 2002 season – a game in which he vanquished his former team, the Raiders. Of course, Gruden had a few things working in his favor – first, he inherited a stocked and loaded Tampa Bay Buccaneers team from Tony Dungy. Make no mistake, it was Dungy’s team that won that Super Bowl. Secondly, Gruden faced his former assistant, Bill Callahan, in that fateful title game. And Callahan, who was most assuredly not a good coach, didn’t change a thing from the plays Gruden ran, to the terminology used, to the signals the team used on the field. It’s a lot easier to win a big game and make it look easy when you know exactly what play is coming at you at any given time. Following that Super Bowl win, after Gruden was allowed to put his own stamp on the team, Tampa Bay enjoyed far less success. Despite that fact though, Gruden continues to be one of the most sought after coaches in the NFL.
http://www.thesportster.com/football...s-of-all-time/

New World Order 07-13-2017 02:59 AM

Billick, Kubiak, and Switzer are the biggest 3 that come to my mind.

Nickhead 07-13-2017 04:19 AM

I debated Billick, but couldn't recall the previous coach.:D

TimeForWasp 07-13-2017 05:57 AM

Gruden

Sorry, posted this before reading anything.

jjchieffan 07-13-2017 06:11 AM

Definitely Switzer, Gruden and Kubiak. Especially Kubiak. The league is the only one deserving credit for the fixed Superfarce to send Fivehead out with a title.

Dayze 07-13-2017 06:59 AM

Kubiak, Billick, and Switzer.
Maybe Seifert?

RunKC 07-13-2017 07:19 AM

Dungy

Amnorix 07-13-2017 07:29 AM

Switzer is the biggest one, I think. He inherited a ridiculously stacked team and could only squeeze one SB out of it. I think of all the coaches he contributed the least.

I sorta, kinda disagree on Gruden. I think he got amazingly LUCKY to win that SB, in that he inherited a great team and then got to go up against his old Raiders, etc., etc., BUT is anyone 100% sure that Dungy wins that SB if he stays? I'm not. Not the way I am that just about ANY NFL HC could've won at least one SB with that Cowboys team that Jimmy Johnson built.

Billick and Kubiak -- meh. I don't think they're really overrated. Does anyone think they're geniuses? Nah.

In58men 07-13-2017 07:38 AM

Billichek is is a mastermind. Lot of hate from jealous people here. When they were down 28-3 he was seen on the sidelines taking note after note. He's a brilliant coach.

Eleazar 07-13-2017 07:53 AM

The book begins and ends with Callahan

KCrockaholic 07-13-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12955139)
Billichek is is a mastermind. Lot of hate from jealous people here. When they were down 28-3 he was seen on the sidelines taking note after note. He's a brilliant coach.

No one said anything about Belichick in this thread.

chiefzilla1501 07-13-2017 08:01 AM

Not sure I buy gruden. He was at least a good enough coach to make two teams consistent playoff contenders. He did build a raiders roster good enough to make the super bowl behind a shitty coach. And even if he had a loaded bucs team, super bowls are never easy to make, let alone win. He wasn't an elite coach. But he wasn't a bad one either.

I would more nominate coaches who had an elite qb in the qb era. Or a loaded team in the uncapped super team era. I don't think Sean paytons success is any more impressive. And even though Seifert won two, he had bought talent. So did Switzer.

chiefzilla1501 07-13-2017 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 12955153)
The book begins and ends with Callahan

I would agree, but I think they're talking about rings. There's a long list of super bowl loser coaches that were terrible. Lovie, martz, whisenhunt... The list goes on and on.

Best22 07-13-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12955075)
I debated Billick, but couldn't recall the previous coach.:D

Billick was an offensive minded coach who rode an elite defense and special teams (coached by Marvin Lewis) to a Superbowl title. That defense allowed these point totals in the postseason:

Denver: 3
Tennessee: 10
Oakland: 3
NYG: 0

The fewest points the Ravens offense scored all postseason was 16. Kubiak situation. The former coach had no credit, it's just that Billick offense did not lead to the title, the defense did.

Best22 07-13-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 12955165)
Not sure I buy gruden. He was at least a good enough coach to make two teams consistent playoff contenders. He did build a raiders roster good enough to make the super bowl behind a shitty coach. And even if he had a loaded bucs team, super bowls are never easy to make, let alone win. He wasn't an elite coach. But he wasn't a bad one either.

I would more nominate coaches who had an elite qb in the qb era. Or a loaded team in the uncapped super team era. I don't think Sean paytons success is any more impressive. And even though Seifert won two, he had bought talent. So did Switzer.

Sean Payton helped build the Saints from homeless laughingstock to a champion. 2009 was not an easy year to win it all. The Favre Vikings were very dangerous, and Peyton Manning Colts began 14-0.