ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Looking for homeschool info (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311472)

Chief Roundup 11-11-2017 10:57 PM

Looking for homeschool info

I have looked all over the internet and found an overwhelming amount of information that is helpful yet hard to decipher.
Any of you all have any experience with particular programs or person information/incite it would be greatly appreciated.

Mephistopheles Janx 11-11-2017 11:03 PM

Don't know what grade level you are looking for but this fine institution gave me a HS diploma WAY back in the day.

https://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/

threebag 11-11-2017 11:15 PM

I think K12 is the resource they advertise around here

Chiefshrink 11-11-2017 11:50 PM

Go to Focus on the Family and they will have a plethora of info on home schooling.;)

cosmo20002 11-12-2017 01:23 AM

Why do you want to homeschool? Jesus freak?

baitism 11-12-2017 08:24 AM

Don't forget the social aspect of school.

duncan_idaho 11-12-2017 08:27 AM

As someone who was home schooled for part of his K-12, I would say a few things:

- Have a plan going into it. What's the purpose behind doing it? Religious reasons? Trouble at school for your child? Dissatisfaction with the school?

All factor in differently in how you should approach it.

If it's a one-year stopgap, make sure the curriculum you're setting up will keep your kid(s) on track. And stay away from the religious-focused home school books.

- think about how well your child self-studies. This is critical. Kids who self-study well are set up to be successful in home schooling. Kids who don't will need a lot of attention during the day.

There are a lot of other things to think about, but there's situation specific. If you share a little more about you kid/situation, I'd gladly share additional thoughts.

It can be really successful, but how good the kid is at school and how prepared the parents are to teach difficult subjects are really key (as is the relationship between parent and child).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmahurin 11-12-2017 08:47 AM

My wife and I homeschool our 10 and 13 year old daughters. We can't afford private school or advanced classes and both of them test several grade levels higher than they are in and the public school programs to push them harder were a joke. We do it so we can challenge them more. We use several different online programs and academies for them. We found a version of the Missouri MAP test to give at the end of the school year. It's essentially the state of California's version of the Missouri test called the CAT. We do zero religious things and it's difficult sometimes to find non religious home school curriculum but it's doable.

Rausch 11-12-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13212054)

It can be really successful, but how good the kid is at school and how prepared the parents are to teach difficult subjects are really key (as is the relationship between parent and child).

This.

I have never home schooled but spent time as an elementary tutor trying to catch kids up who's parents didn't take it seriously.

(Yes, I passed a background check. Yes, I was hired first for the public school system and then as a private tutor. Yes, I did make more doing that than I do now.)

Three things you need to know:

1) The law. Know what's required and make sure you meet requirements in your state or the gub-ment will step in.

2) One parent has to be home to do the teaching. This is a must. No exceptions.

If you can afford to pay for someone to school your child at home you can afford a private school.

3) Home schooling will likely put your kid ahead academically but also behind socially. Make sure he/she is in boy/girl scouts or other groups where they have significant time with kids their age...

Rain Man 11-12-2017 11:05 AM

I homeschooled our cats, and I don't regret it. They learned everything they needed to succeed in life.

BleedingRed 11-12-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13212305)
I homeschooled our cats, and I don't regret it. They learned everything they needed to succeed in life.

I think they frown on you if you spray you children with a water bottle if they misbehave

hometeam 11-12-2017 11:10 AM

My gf and all 3 of her brothers where homeschooled, and I have several friends who where as well. They all have HS 'diplomas'

Socially, they range from awkward to completely inept. My friends think that the world is only 6000 years old. My gf wouldnt pass a test of 10th grade knowledge, niether would two of her brothers. She isnt stupid, she just wasnt taught anything.

Good intentions or whatever, I cant recommend.

Rausch 11-12-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 13212310)
I think they frown on you if you spray you children with a water bottle if they misbehave

Not in the midwest.

Here your kids would beat you for showing a weakness like that...

Chief Roundup 11-12-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 13211972)
Why do you want to homeschool? Jesus freak?

No religious reasons at all. I do not like the public school system.

Rausch 11-12-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13212382)
No religious reasons at all. I do not like the public school system.

Valid...