ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Re-visiting our attempt to trade Steven Nelson (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314241)

RealSNR 03-04-2018 12:46 PM

Re-visiting our attempt to trade Steven Nelson

I lost the tweet in the muck of the Marcus Peters threads, but apparently a report was out that we were shopping (or still are shopping) Steven Nelson. I have no idea if he was being used as added enticement to get the Rams to pony up some better compensation or what. I know every man has his price and all, but Nelson seems like a somewhat valuable depth player, or at least that's the role he's played for us the past several years. Maybe I wouldn't re-sign him past his rookie deal, and I certainly wouldn't really ever trust putting him in a starting role, but to trade him for what is likely nothing more than a mid-round draft pick? Probably a 3rd at best?

I'd like to think his value to us is a little more than that. He's not the best corner, but he's been one of the only somewhat solid parts of our secondary for the past many years, when one considers the insane instability of the 2nd CB spot that's been filled from just about every JAG off the street one can think of.

Do we want him gone? Are we just too cheap to pay him more than he's worth when his rookie deal expires this season? What would you take for him, or what are some trade scenarios where you could see this realistically happening?

ThaVirus 03-04-2018 12:57 PM

He's not flashy but he's the type of guy who has a place on a winning roster, IMO.

I would be oppposed to dealing him with our CB situation.

Titty Meat 03-04-2018 12:59 PM

He sucks and I wish we would trade him

Rausch 03-04-2018 01:00 PM

I'm curious why we wanted to trade him.

I think he's, by far, our best slot corner (before the Smith trade.)

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-04-2018 01:00 PM

As well as Terrance Mitchell ,we should keep them both.

Simply Red 03-04-2018 01:02 PM

he does seem nice.

Rausch 03-04-2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13449795)
he does seem nice.

Fair, but my wife does not think he's hot.

Based on this, I think he's traded/released.

And I can back this up with numerous comments...

tmax63 03-04-2018 01:12 PM

I keep thinking that Nelson was being shopped prior to dropping peters like a hot rock. I think he stays around for a little stability at a reasonable price. Unless this is a Veach version of "11 men off the street".

RealSNR 03-04-2018 01:29 PM

Chiefs CBs under contract for 2018:

Kenneth Fuller (once it's official)
David Amerson
Steven Nelson
Ashton Lampkin

The following dudes are free agents:

Kenneth Acker
Philip Gaines
Terrence Mitchell
Keith Reaser

With the exception of handing out a cheap deal to Mitchell, the departing free agents can go **** themselves. I guess Reaser impressed me a little bit, but I'd only like him back on a minimum deal.

As deep as the CBs are in this draft, even if we take multiples, do you see a valid scenario where we DON'T hand out money to a free agent to be a starter?

I don't. I think we need to.

dlphg9 03-04-2018 01:32 PM

I don't think we'd get more than a 5th for him. Should definitely keep him because he is worth more to us than a late round pick would be.

staylor26 03-04-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 13449844)
Chiefs CBs under contract for 2018:

Kenneth Fuller (once it's official)
David Amerson
Steven Nelson
Ashton Lampkin

The following dudes are free agents:

Kenneth Acker
Philip Gaines
Terrence Mitchell
Keith Reaser

With the exception of handing out a cheap deal to Mitchell, the departing free agents can go **** themselves. I guess Reaser impressed me a little bit, but I'd only like him back on a minimum deal.

As deep as the CBs are in this draft, even if we take multiples, do you see a valid scenario where we DON'T hand out money to a free agent to be a starter?

I don't. I think we need to.

Absolutely. The best position group in this FA class is probably corner, and I think that will be our focus. That could be a reason why we settled for no day 2 picks in the Peters trade. There’s no way they’re counting on what we have and a rookie.

staylor26 03-04-2018 01:44 PM

As for Nelson, I still think he’s better than he’s given credit for. He was pretty average this year, but he still has value for depth because of his versatility and cheap rookie contract.

I think any chance of him getting traded went out the window with the Peters trade.

Chief Northman 03-04-2018 01:54 PM

His PFF numbers in the slot this season were poor. He also was the one guy that Dorsey drafted in which he caved to his measurables standard (below 6 feet). Nelson is a good tackler and is still cheap, but his coverage abilities are average at best. I am certain another FA will round out the two outside starting spots, along with the slot responsibility. Kendall Fuller is best in the slot. I believe the Chiefs will go hard after Kyle if the Bears let him walk.

Kyle Fuller and Amerson outside with Kendall Fuller in the slot. The two brothers outside in Base.

O.city 03-04-2018 02:03 PM

He’s a good tackler which I was told is a huge deal for a corner

Simply Red 03-04-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13449921)
He’s a good tackler which I was told is a huge deal for a corner

let it go bro