ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Reid could care less about altitude (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318800)

wheeler08 11-12-2018 07:52 AM

Reid could care less about altitude

3. The Rams are scheduled to work in Colorado Springs, at altitude, for a week beginning Tuesday, because Mexico City is 1.3 miles above sea level. The Chiefs studied that and chose to stay in Kansas City for the week before making the 3.5-hour flight Sunday. Coach Andy Reid told me, “The elevation’s the elevation. I’m sure the Rams are gonna work at elevation. We’re not. I don’t think it becomes an issue. We did our homework on that this past offseason. It doesn’t really matter. It doesn’t matter if it’s in the parking lot of the CVS.”

From Peter King.
Should we be worried about our guys getting gassed? Or is it the equivalent of not stretching before the D Day Invasion?

TLO 11-12-2018 07:54 AM

I'm more concerned about the field.

Zebedee DuBois 11-12-2018 07:58 AM

Bring plenty of O2 bottles to the sideline. Gas up between plays.

Donger 11-12-2018 07:59 AM

Oh, so he could care.

Dartgod 11-12-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 13887092)
Oh, so he could care.

Not could, he does care.

But he could care less. His choice.

FAX 11-12-2018 08:02 AM

We don't need no stinkin' oxygen.

FAX

Donger 11-12-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13887097)
Not could, he does care.

But he could care less. His choice.

LMAO

Reerun_KC 11-12-2018 08:04 AM

Im sure hes worried more about the buffets in Mexico City than he is the Altitude...

redfan 11-12-2018 08:04 AM

A week at altitude won't help the Rams.

notorious 11-12-2018 08:05 AM

https://running.competitor.com/2013/...g-enough_32089

Altitude Training: How Much Is Enough?

Kevin Beck / June 21, 2013

Training at altitude has its benefits, but they take some time to develop.

It takes more than a day to feel the blood-boosting benefits of training at altitude.

In the Boulder Center For Sports Medicine (BCSM) performance lab, I move on to one of the more pressing questions runners considering a stint at altitude have: How long is enough? That is, what’s the minimum amount of time a runner needs to remain at high altitude in order to accrue maximum benefits and reach a plateau stage? Keeping in mind the 10-day lag between EPO production and RBC synthesis, I propose, based on the fact that EPO levels return to baseline after about 25 to 28 days, five to six weeks should give runners all that they need.

Adam St. Pierre answers this comprehensively. “People ask this a lot,” he says. “My answer is always, some is better than none. If you can only do seven days, then do seven days.” He notes that a lot of altitude camps run for three weeks, and proposes that because of adaptations that occur in the fourth week, extending such trips by an additional seven days is well worth it.

Rob Pickels, meanwhile, confirms what I have long believed: that runners who do an altitude stint without the live-high/train-low aspect and still improve their performances after returning to sea level almost certainly do so as a result of simply training more than they had trained previously during their stay at elevation, where the availability of trails, training partners and favorable weather is virtually limitless.

Both physiologists offer some general advice: When you get to high altitude, take iron supplements — your body will need the extra iron for the increased hemoglobin synthesis that’s soon to follow. If you are sick when you arrive, even with a cold, don’t bother trying to take advantage of the altitude because EPO is suppressed under such conditions. Similarly, if you turn out to be among the people who develop high-elevation sickness — something unrelated to fitness that strikes genetically predisposed people idiosyncratically — quit the show and go back to the lowlands.

When I note how long it takes me to recover between short, fast intervals — 400s at 3,000-meter race pace, say — Pickels mentions an interesting aspect of doing these kinds of workouts with supplemental oxygen.

“Not only can you do the reps faster,” he says, “but the recovery time is much shorter, and that cuts down on the total workout time. That means you recover more quickly between workouts overall.”

This leads me to ask whether he believes that a given level of mileage run at high altitude translates into something greater at sea level. If I run 70 miles a week in Boulder, does that entail the physical workload of something more than that — maybe 80, 85 at sea level? Pickels agrees that it does, but whether this is merely fatiguing versus something that results in an effective training-stimulus boost is unclear.

I note drinking a great deal of water and other fluids since coming to Colorado, and that in contrast to my experience in South Florida — where prodigious sweating was the norm for 10 and a half months of the year — I didn’t necessarily feel thirsty when I theoretically should, and that I had to force myself to drink enough to stay hydrated enough to produce clear urine consistently. Pickels again has the answer.

In very dry climates such as Boulder’s, sweating is a very efficient process, meaning that only a small amount of sweat needs be excreted in order to cool a running body off. This is because in Boulder, sweat evaporates more or less immediately on encountering the dry ambient air, unlike Fort Lauderdale sweat, which collects in gross abundance on the body because the humid air can’t accept it.

“That amount of sweat means losing a lot of electrolytes with it,” explains Pickels. “That causes a big volumetric drive to drink. We don’t have that here.” Instead, people living at high altitudes experience a lot of “insensible water loss” — water lost through the lungs and skin that can’t be seen, a situation compounded by the fact that people take more breaths at high altitude than at sea level, even at rest.

wheeler08 11-12-2018 08:08 AM

Thanks for bolding the important part!

notorious 11-12-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheeler08 (Post 13887111)
Thanks for bolding the important part!

You're very welcome!

TomBarndtsTwin 11-12-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13887087)

This.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...f-rams-chiefs/

Prepare for more injuries for both teams. Hopefully not someone that derails either teams season . . . . .

notorious 11-12-2018 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 13887113)
This.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...f-rams-chiefs/

Prepare for more injuries for both teams. Hopefully not someone that details either teams season . . . . .

If only Pitt and NE had to play there.

TEX 11-12-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13887087)

Rightfully so. :cuss: