ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft SI: The Jets offered #10 overall for Hill (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=347394)

suzzer99 02-06-2023 10:39 AM

SI: The Jets offered #10 overall for Hill

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/06/ch...mes-very-early

Quote:

That’s why when the Jets offered the 10th pick straight up for Hill, the Chiefs balked and asked for a package based on volume (rather than quality) picks, to try to avoid being the team that got Troy Williamson for Randy Moss. (You can look up the Raiders-Vikings trade of 2005 for more on that.) It’s also why the Chiefs eventually settled on a package offered from the team Hill wanted to go to, the Dolphins. Miami would send the Chiefs the 29th pick, as well as a second-rounder, two fourth-rounders and a 2023 sixth-rounder, a package they took over a reworked Jets off fronted by New York’s two second-rounders.

Of course, that also meant Mahomes was losing his best receiver. But Mahomes was looped in and understood why.

“That’s where you kinda hit the crossroads—if you want to do that, you can, but it’s not gonna be easy,” Veach says. “It’s gonna have to involve a talent like Tyreek Hill, and so that’s what becomes tough, because it sounds good until you get to the moment where, All right, this is Tyreek Hill. This is what you said, but do you really want to trade arguably the league’s best receiver? That’s where when you have a plan, you gotta stick to it. You can’t let the emotional side kick in because you can have a plan in place.”
The story at the time was that the Jets only offered two first rounders. Hmmmm.

staylor26 02-06-2023 10:44 AM

I'm calling bullshit. This contradicts everything we've heard.

smithandrew051 02-06-2023 10:44 AM

The 10th pick would’ve been nice to add like Garrett Wilson or Olave, but that would mean no McDuffie or Karlaftis.

Given how the season went and where we are, Veach did really well here.

Coochie liquor 02-06-2023 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 16790367)
The 10th pick would’ve been nice to add like Garrett Wilson or Olave, but that would mean no McDuffie or Karlaftis.

Given how the season went and where we are, Veach did really well here.

Exactly. Veach got us lots of nice pieces that are cost effective for years. Rebuilt the secondary, got us a Kalabundle of sticksus, and Skyy! Was a hell of a draft with the pics we had, and the ones acquired in the Hill trade. Can’t say I was happy when we traded him, but it’s better in the long haul. And hey even without Hill, we’re going to the SB!

The Franchise 02-06-2023 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16790366)
I'm calling bullshit. This contradicts everything we've heard.

Yeah, even if Veach wanted volume....I don't see him turning down the #10 overall pick for Hill.

Sofa King 02-06-2023 10:52 AM

It all worked out in the end. In Veach we trust.

digger 02-06-2023 10:53 AM

In Vert Beach we trust!!!

MahomesMagic 02-06-2023 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16790381)
Yeah, even if Veach wanted volume....I don't see him turning down the #10 overall pick for Hill.

Exactly.

You could trade down from 10 multiple times and get more volume than we got.

No NFL GM takes the inferior trade value.

ChiefsCountry 02-06-2023 10:56 AM

Chiefs had a major woody for Garrett Wilson. I call bullshit on this.

Dante84 02-06-2023 10:57 AM

Fantastic read, thanks for sharing.

I found this part to be very interesting, especially as it relates to the George Pickens / Skyy Moore debate:

Quote:

Also, as Veach saw it, it was another example of the team shifting its aggression, in this case from being aggressive with risks when Mahomes’s rookie deal gave them margin for error roster-wise, to being aggressive in character evaluations with that margin mostly gone, and the team needing more often for rookies to play sooner.

“If there are guys that may not have as high of an athletic ceiling as others, but you just know deep down these guys are really good players, we’ll feel good just wanting to make sure we’re surrounding Pat with really good guys that are really good players,” Veach says. “And we want to make sure that at the end of the day, they’re gonna value the game, be great teammates, and these guys aren’t gonna come here and fail.

“And look, yes, maybe some guys have a way higher ceiling, but we’re not in that place. We’re gonna get guys in here that want to play, that love the game and that we know are gonna be good players as well. So I think you probably see it almost mirror your free-agent approach and your approach with trading picks with a quarterback on a rookie deal.”

ThyKingdomCome15 02-06-2023 10:57 AM

Aced it, it was a really deep draft. Nearly every rookie in that draft class made huge plays in the AFCCG.

Pacheco, McDuffie, George, Skyy, Cook, Williams, Watson...

I've honestly never it, not sure it's ever happened. That many rookies making huge plays in a title game... just wow.

Veach is the envy of the NFL right now. He just got an extension, he needs another.

MahomesMagic 02-06-2023 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 16790392)
Fantastic read, thanks for sharing.

I found this part to be very interesting, especially as it relates to the George Pickens / Skyy Moore debate:

Chiefs still seem to be hitting for upside later.

I do agree that you just want to keep adding good football players early though.

Dunerdr 02-06-2023 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 16790390)
Chiefs had a major woody for Garrett Wilson. I call bullshit on this.

Yeah but trading Hill for wilson basically straight up plus cash is a rough optic.

Dartgod 02-06-2023 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 16790376)
got us a Kalabundle of sticksus...

WTF is this filtering? ROFL

The Franchise 02-06-2023 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 16790418)
WTF is this filtering? ROFL

I think he tried to spell out Kalafugus but replaced the u with an a.

Kalafugus
Kalabundle of sticksus