ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   D.C. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   "CBS News plans statement to 'clarify' Bush Guard docs story..." (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98657)

Cochise 09-15-2004 09:08 AM

"CBS News plans statement to 'clarify' Bush Guard docs story..."

(per drudge)

Will CBS now be the last group to drop off the list of people who still maintain that these documents are authentic?

If they admit the documents are forged, will they then reveal their source?

Will jAZ's head explode?

All these questions and more to be answered soon...

Mr. Kotter 09-15-2004 09:14 AM

THIS ought to be interesting....and fun to watch.... ROFL

siberian khatru 09-15-2004 09:14 AM

I don't think they can outright admit they're forged. They'd have to reveal their source, and that might be even more devastating to them.

I think they're going to insist that the authenticity of the docs is ultimately "unknowable," i.e., reasonable people can disagree, but that they contain "larger truths" that must be addressed. I said from the beginning that someone's gonna argue that these docs were based on handwritten notes or, better yet, conversations that existed 30 years ago, and I think we're already seeing that.

BTW, my theory is that Rather's "unimpeachable source" for the docs is his daughter, who is active in Texas Democratic politics. She got them from Ben Barnes and vouched for their authenticity. That's why Rather is digging in on this. Just a theory.

Donger 09-15-2004 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
(per drudge)

Will CBS now be the last group to drop off the list of people who still maintain that these documents are authentic?

If they admit the documents are forged, will they then reveal their source?

Will jAZ's head explode?

All these questions and more to be answered soon...

Ever see Scanners?

Cochise 09-15-2004 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru
I don't think they can outright admit they're forged. They'd have to reveal their source, and that might be even more devastating to them.

I think they're going to insist that the authenticity of the docs is ultimately "unknowable," i.e., reasonable people can disagree, but that they contain "larger truths" that must be addressed. I said from the beginning that someone's gonna argue that these docs were based on handwritten notes or, better yet, conversations that existed 30 years ago, and I think we're already seeing that.

BTW, my theory is that Rather's "unimpeachable source" for the docs is his daughter, who is active in Texas Democratic politics. She got them from Ben Barnes and vouched for their authenticity. That's why Rather is digging in on this. Just a theory.

Good take.

To me the whole thing smells like the sKerry campaign. But I'm sure they have covered their tracks well enough if it came from them.

Claims are made, then the claims are cast in a very doubtful light, at least, and then they move to claiming that the real truth is unknowable, that it's none of your business, or that the claims themselves aren't the issue but some other topic is what you should pay attention to instead.

You're right, they won't outright admit they are forged. They have to salvage some vestige of credibility amongst... well, I guess people who haven't been paying attention.

They'll continue to obscure and attempt to move the documents from being the issue, and it's already happening like you are seeing. Claiming they were from handwritten notes, claiming they were notes of a converstaion. What's funny though, is that they will end up claiming the truth is unknowable, but use it to indict Bush's guard record which has got to be unknowable at this point, or they wouldn't need to be forging documents to 'prove' he didn't serve.

It will end up going the old familiar route... "it's not that there is any evidence, but we should cause a big hubub because of the seriousness of the charge".

KCTitus 09-15-2004 09:35 AM

The only clarification needed is that it's the seriousness of the charge that matters...

RINGLEADER 09-15-2004 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru

Fantastic post.

I agree completely.

Also hear that Rather is going to interview the 86-year old secretary to support his claims that the "larger truths" support him. I'm sure he'll be sure to include her statement from last week that she didn't know anything about Bush or her statement yesterday that she feels Bush was "selected, not elected".

RINGLEADER 09-15-2004 10:43 AM

"It doesn't matter if the documents are real or not, it is the important issues that they raise..."

Donger 09-15-2004 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Freepers can be pretty darn creative sometimes...

ROFL

RINGLEADER 09-15-2004 12:30 PM

See-BS could definitively prove their case by a) purchasing whatever typewriter they want to purchase - not even those in use by the National Guard, but ANY typewriter - and duplicate the memos. We know that the default settings on Microsoft Word can do it perfectly...get a typewriter to do it Dan. I imagine they can't because although there were typewriters that could do proportional spacing and typewriters that could do superscript and typewriters that could do the Times New Roman font, no one has produced the single typewriter that could do ALL of these things.

Second, produce just ONE other memo or document from Killian's files that has the proportional spacing, centering, superscript and font style. I imagine they can't because none exist.

Cochise 09-15-2004 01:24 PM

CBSNEWS PLANS STATEMENT TO 'CLARIFY' BUSH GUARD DOCUMENTS STORY... DELAYS NOON EDT ANNOUNCEMENT; NEW TIME: 3:30PM EDT... DEVELOPING...

Should be coming out any minute now.

In a related story Rassmussen reports that 27% of Americans think the memos are authentic.

Duck Dog 09-15-2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

CBSNEWS PLANS STATEMENT TO 'CLARIFY' BUSH GUARD DOCUMENTS STORY... DELAYS NOON EDT ANNOUNCEMENT; NEW TIME: 3:30PM EDT... DEVELOPING...

In a related story Rassmussen reports that 27% of Americans think the memos are authentic.

Where? In San Fransisco?

HC_Chief 09-15-2004 01:41 PM

Quote:

16% Find the story relevant in regards to Bush's bid for potus ROFL

Donger 09-15-2004 01:55 PM

Quote:

ROFL

CBSNEWS PLANS STATEMENT TO 'CLARIFY' BUSH GUARD DOCUMENTS STORY... NEW TIME: 5:00PM EDT...

mlyonsd 09-15-2004 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger
ROFL

CBSNEWS PLANS STATEMENT TO 'CLARIFY' BUSH GUARD DOCUMENTS STORY... NEW TIME: 5:00PM EDT...

Rather had a big office and it's taking longer then expected for him to clean it out....we could only be so lucky.