1. Illegal aliens are here illegally. (Revise to: Undocumented immigrants are here, now what?)
2. Pro-domestic employment is indispensable. (Revise to pro-domestic employment violates basic economic reality.)
3. A strong military is essential. (of course)
4. Special interests must be eliminated. (Everyone says this, but no one practices it, see 5 below).
5. Gun ownership is sacred. (Revise to: Gun ownership is protected by the 2nd amendment).
6. Government must be downsized. (I believe government is a whole lot more useful than the Tea Party does. There are many areas that can be cut, but not nearly as many as the Tea Party thinks).
7. The national budget must be balanced. (I haven't seen compelling evidence that this is true, but the current budget has too much deficit spending).
8. Deficit spending must end. (Drastically curtailed, yes. End? I've not seen a sound argument for that).
9. Bailout and stimulus plans are illegal. (Disagree completely -- although bail outs have helped with pro-domestic employment in the case of the US owned auto industry, whoops another contradiction).
10. Reducing personal income taxes is a must. (Disagree completely, because I am serious about deficit reduction. I'm open to tax reform, but I don't think the tax burden on ordinary Americans is crushing and I've spent time in most of the tax brackets during my life).
11. Reducing business income taxes is mandatory. (I've heard some good arguments in favor of this, but those reductions would need to be offset by increased personal taxes).
12. Political offices must be available to average citizens. (Nice in principle, but exactly how do you ensure this? I think the implementation would cause more problems than it would solve.)
13. Intrusive government must be stopped. (I don't think government is all that intrusive. In most cases where it does impose burden, there is good reason for it. Sure inefficiencies could and should be eliminated where possible).
14. English as our core language is required. (Let the market take care of it. Publicly-funded education should be in English to prepare young people for the workplace, but I have no problem with ESL classes in schools)
15. Traditional family values are encouraged. (TFV are different for different people and are constantly evolving. Not a role for government.)
I would bet money that a majority of hard core Tea Party rank and file would not support entitlement cuts that would be necessary to achieve 7, 8, 10, and 11. They are the party of rage, but offer no solutions.
Last edited by cdcox; 02-24-2014 at 10:05 PM..