What's Known So Far
- Will continue to run at or around 60FPS on console.
- Game engine ("Modern Warfare 3 Engine" AKA IW5) has been mostly improved in the texture streaming area for larger scale levels, etc.
- Improvements to audio to improve situational awareness (bullet's flying by, etc.).
- Dive-To-Prone not returning.
- MW3 will feature built-in support for color-blind players.
- Will be as similar as possible across all versions (PC, PS3, 360).
- Status of dedicated servers for PC version is still unknown, but the devs are still pushing for it to happen.
Single Player Campaign
- Campaign continues the story of MW2, showing a World War III scenario in which major countries are involved.
- Campaign will span many hotspots in the world, including New York City, London, Paris, Berlin, Mogadishu, Moscow, and more.
- New characters Derek "Frost" Westbrook (playable) and Sandman are introduced, who are part of Delta Force. Also revealed was Marcus Burns of the British SAS. Older characters such as Capt. Price, Soap, and Nikolai have not been revealed, but are likely to return.
- Spec Ops returns with new features. These include a new progressive ranking system separate from multiplayer rank. As rank goes up, new weapons, attachments, equipment, etc. are also unlocked.
- Other big addition is Spec Ops Survival, a wave-based mode similar to Horde mode from Gears of War series. Infinite waves of enemies spawn that gets progressively more difficult. Currency system is used to buy new weapons, attachments, and even killstreaks to continue the fight. Will be playable on all multiplayer maps.
- Addition of matchmaking and leaderboards.
- 1-2 player mode, which can be played solo, locally via split-screen, or online with a friend or random person.
- Focus going back to gun-on-gun action.
- Removed perks include Stopping Power, One Man Army, Commando, Last Stand, Danger Close also likely.
- Nuke killstreak removed
- Due to removal of Stopping Power, weapons damage has been overall increased compared to past Modern Warfare games.
- It has been reported that recoil for weapons is more significant compared to past Modern Warfare games.
- Explosive damage has been toned down compared to past Modern Warfare games.
- Knife melee has been balanced and tweaked (read: nerfed) to be more of a last-ditch attack or for unsuspecting enemies.
- Killstreak reward system has been "completely revamped." Meant to "support and encourage you to be a better player, not supplement you being a better player."
- Maps in general are being designed with less verticality compared to Modern Warfare 2, less places to hide in maps, reduced line of sights, which leads to more defined hotspots/killzones.
- Changes have been made to how "weapon unlocks and ranking works".
- New game modes confirmed.
- Quickscoping is in.
- Tweaks and changes to XP, match bonus, challenges, etc. to increase rewards for players who play the objective in objective game modes.
- Post-launch updates is being handled similar to Black Ops with more hotfixes for quicker fixing of glitches, etc.
- Post-launch support is even more important and will be a bigger focus.
- Will have full integration with Call of Duty Elite at launch.
- Full reveal at Call of Duty XP still forthcoming