Meant to throw this up earlier... not sure anyone else went to the spring game, but here are my post-spring impressions:
1) Good god, James Franklin better be healthy. Was not impressed with Corbin Berkstresser (Glaser remains what he has always been - an extra arm for practice). With Berk, you can see the arm strength and overall athleticism the coaches liked, but he still looked slow on reads and was delivering the ball late in a lot of cases. His accuracy needs some work, too, to create YAC.
I think Mauk will have an excellent chance to beat out Berk for the No. 2 job in fall camp. He has much more experience playing QB in the spread - and the coaching he has received from earliest ages has been top-notch.
2) More PT for Jimmie Hunt. Fast, strong, elusive.
3) Matt Hoch and Lucas Vincent are going to be +s at DT. With Sheldon Richardson healthy, I think the first three guys are going to be pretty strong performers. Hoch moved past a solid contributor in Jimmy Burge to get his spot, and Coach Kul is high on him.
4) Morse looked good at center, and it looks like snaps will be better this season. Could be huge in improving offensive rhythm.
5) Liked what I saw from the backup LBs. Looked much more instinctive and were playing much faster. Bonner and Ruise are great athletes. Bodes well for depth this season and for the position overall after this year.
"You gotta love livin', cause dying is a pain in the ass."