Originally Posted by Sofa King
So is this game worth a shit?
My personality is one of "all-or-nothing", and I'll usually play most games obsessively for a while before really growing tired of them and moving on. GW2, however, has been pretty consistently fun for me since its launch date. I think there are a few things working in its favor:
1) Much like WoW, the world is so huge and interactive, that you'll need a few months just to become acclimated. This keeps things from becoming boring and repetitive.
2) Crafting is FUN; I usually end up gathering while playing WvWvW, as the Battlegrounds have some really high-level stuff.
3) Having a guild keeps me playing on a more frequent basis. Whereas I didn't benefit much from the guild structure in WoW due to my low level, GW2 offers an immediate benefit by allowing ALL levels to immediately enter WvWvW at level 80.
4) WvWvW can be INCREDIBLY fun, especially when the servers reset and new matchups begin (usually Fri. night)
Here are a few cons, just so I can be fair and make sure I'm not misrepresenting my overall experience:
1) The currency system is far different than that of WoW. I spend most of my time with < 1 gold, and repairing my armor (I spend most of my time in WvWvW) can become very difficult. This can be alleviated by doing some PvE (dungeons, etc), but I do feel like I'm always strained on money.
2) Three of the four battlegrounds have the exact same layout. Literally, they are the SAME MAP. This can produce a very homogenized experience after you've spent enough time on the maps; defending a particular keep that you've had to defend 50+ previous times can become boring. If GW2 introduced three separate battlegrounds, and had a rotating server system (ie, Server 1 gets map 1 for a few days, then map 2, then map 3; same for Server 2 and Server 3) it would lead to a far more exciting and fresh experience.
Overall, I'm really pleased with the game. I'm having a lot of fun, and I still feel like I've only hit the tip of the proverbial iceberg.