Originally Posted by Direckshun
A week or two ago, patteeu and I were rehashing
some of the accomplishments and disasters of the Bush administration.
It's been four years since the guy was in office, and seemingly a year or two since I'd had an in-depth conversation about his Presidency.
This was a week or so after I offered my extensive list
of accomplishments of first-term Obama, and I know I'm not exactly the audience Bush was playing to, but if you had to carve out a list of things Bush had done over two terms, it is truly striking exactly how shitty his Presidency was.
- Lost the popular vote in his first election.
- Largest domestic terrorist strike on American soil in American history.
- Two rounds of huge tax cuts that disproportionately benefited the wealthy that now even Republicans on this board want to see gone for everybody.
- Medicare Part D, not altogether a bad program but exploded the deficit.
- The beginning of the longest war in American history in Afghanistan, with an undersized troop presence.
- The war in Iraq. Yeah.
- A massive, federal expansion of education policy -- literally called No Child Left Behind.
- John Roberts (slam dunk), Harriet Miers (****ing disaster town), Samuel Alito (partisan selection).
- Attempted to privatize social security.
- Oversaw a complete cratering of our economy built on reckless Wall Street abuse and a home ownership bubble.
- Dramatically worsened American standing diplomatically, largely due to the Iraq War.
- Authorized "enhanced interrogation."
- Appointed Ben Bernanke to the Fed, a move that conservatives now despise.
- Presided over the cluster**** of Hurricane Katrina.
- Initiated a domestic wiretapping program that forewent judicial oversight.
- The Patriot Act in general.
- Surged American troops and resources (bribes) in Iraq in an attempt to get Iraq under control.
- Captured Saddam Hussein and facilitated his trial at the hands of the Iraqis.
- Took our surplus at the turn of the century and turned it into a trillion-dollar deficit.
- A nobel attempt at immigration reform that was shot down by his own party.
- Initiated a $700 billion bailout of Wall Street following the catastrophic economic collapse at the end of his administration.
- Pushed an attempt to ban gay marriage in the Constitution.
- Vetoed embryonic stem cell research.
- Provided unprecedented support to Africa to combat AIDS.
- Created the Department of Homeland Security, a bureaucratic boondoggle that doesn't make us any safer.
- Openly supported a two-state solution in Israel, but did little to accomplish it.
- Had a shoe tossed at him.
Obviously not all bad. But a lot of it is ****ing horrendous.
according to a lot of right wingers, he's the greatest American president ever. I don't get it, but I just think they think whichever republican that in office is the greatest ever. They seem to blindly follow, ask no questions and believe everything they say. I guess that's why religion goes hand in hand with the right.