Originally Posted by MahiMike
Same reason guys are drooling over Geno....
The reason you love Smith is the tools/potential to be special at the next level:
1. He's got an exceptionally quick release that is a high release. Pass rushers at the NFL level are fast and long and the ball needs to get out quickly with velocity.
2. Pocket presence. Geno has a natural feel for the pressure in the pocket and uses the whole pocket in the passing game.
3. Accuracy. He's able to drop balls into a receivers hand in stride at all points of the field in tight coverage. He's as good as I've seen at this level in doing this.
4. Arm strength and correct velocity. Geno can hit the throws to all parts of the field and use the proper ball velocity on throws. He's not Dave Klinglering it on a five yard slant or Matt Casseling it on a 20 yard fade. The guy knows how much to put on a ball to any part of the field.
5. Experience. He's a three year starter at the position in two different systems. He's getting a ton of reps in Holgorsen's Air Raid offense which uses Pro Style multiple receiver routes. The guy will know how to throw a ball.
The fact that WV has lost some recently isn't on Geno. There defense is absolutely atrocious and his offensive line is a sieve. The guy continues to play hard all game long. Go watch those three throws that SNR highlighted from the OU/WV game. Most college QB's have one or two "highlight" passes like that for an entire year. Geno is continuing to make those types of passes every single game numerous times each game.
The guy has all the tools you want to build a franchise QB from in the NFL.
And I like Barkley and Jones. Hell, I got shit earlier this year for saying Jones was a legit NFL QB.
But neither of them are Geno Smith. Geno Smith has the traits that will give him the potential to be very special at the next level, IMO.