Originally Posted by listopencil
1) No, that's not what the Constitution says.
2) They were derived from many sources, including the (Native American) Iroquois.
3) Morals and ethics are not dependent upon religion.
4) It's far from impossible, and it's necessary to a free society.
I think there is some confusion here based on my poor choice of words. I've been using religion as a catch all word to mean a belief in a creator, not an institution created by man, which is how i believe you are reading it. So to your points:
1) When I said 'specific' I was referring to an institutional belief system, not a moral code, which has its roots in a creator (I contend).
2)by 'us' I mean us as humans not us as Americans
3)agreed, but they don't just happen
4)for each religion, yes. Our system of laws is not entirely the result of evolution, however.