Originally Posted by donkhater
I think there is some confusion here based on my poor choice of words. I've been using religion as a catch all word to mean a belief in a creator, not an institution created by man, which is how i believe you are reading it. So to your points:
1) When I said 'specific' I was referring to an institutional belief system, not a moral code, which has its roots in a creator (I contend).
2)by 'us' I mean us as humans not us as Americans
3)agreed, but they don't just happen
4)for each religion, yes. Our system of laws is not entirely the result of evolution, however.
1) OK, I was just pointing out that the amendment was not intended only to discourage a specific state religion.
2) Our laws did evolve with us humans. We created them. If you choose to believe that divine inspiration moved men to create law then of course you are free to hold that belief.
3) Sure. I was teasing you with my RNA comment.
4) As long as we keep the authority of the Church away from the power of the State we have a chance.