In no order
1. The E Street Band (Greatest Live shows I have ever seen)
2. Buddy Holly and the Crickets (One of those "would have been phenomenal if he only had the time"
3. Beatles (this was a toss up between The Who, Zeppelin, Stones, and Beatles - Only the Beatles knew to stop before it went on too long).
4. Jerry Lee Lewis (Little Richard, Prince, and so many others owe Lewis their roots in raw sex promised through music)
5. System of a Down (my under-appreciated category. Serj is a freaking genius but so weird he will never be mainstream, ala Trent Reznor).
Honorable mentions include (but not limited to) A Perfect Circle, Avenged Sevenfold, Roy Orbison, Queens of the Stone Age, Ramones, Clash, and Sam Cooke.
How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!