View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #5604
HolyHandgernade HolyHandgernade is offline
Integralist
 
HolyHandgernade's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Murrieta, CA
Casino cash: $5645
Well, this will probably kill expansion for the B12, and that's not necessarily a bad thing:

Quote:
The BCS recently signed a 12-year contract with ESPN. The deal averages to $470 million annually, sources said. Of that amount, about $125 million is expected to go toward expenses, including an academic reward component, game participation, team expenses, allotment to Football Championship Subdivision conferences and other items.

It leaves an average of $345 million annually, which the commissioners have decided to split in two ways: 75 percent ($258.75 million) divided equally between the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC, and the remaining 25 percent ($86.25 million) divided among the Big East, MWC, MAC, C-USA and Sun Belt.

That alone gives the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC an average of $51.75 million annually. The SEC, Big 12, Pac-12 and Big Ten also will each receive an additional $40 million annually for their contract bowl deals with ESPN: Allstate Sugar (SEC, Big 12) and Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio (Pac-12, Big 12).

The ACC also will earn at least an additional $27.5 million annually for its ESPN contract bowl deal with the Orange. The ACC's opponent will either be Notre Dame or a team from the SEC and Big Ten. If the SEC or Big Ten places a team in the Orange Bowl, that league would earn another $27.5 million, increasing the SEC or Big Ten's playoff revenue share to $118 million.

Notre Dame's exact compensation for playing in the Orange Bowl during the ESPN deal is not known, but sources told ESPN it would be "substantially less" than the $27.5 million payout to an ACC, SEC or Big Ten team.

http://espn.go.com/college-foo...mat-sources-say
Basically, you get more money per school if you are a smaller conference. 51.7 million works out to roughly 5.18 million per school at 10 teams. If we went to 12 it would be 3.7 per team. You can see how that figure goes down with each additional team. That's not including the Sugar payout too, which is roughly 4 million per team. These aren't exact figures, but you can see why expansion may NOT be in the best interest of the B12 unless those teams really add substantial value.
__________________
You'll see it's all a show, keep 'em laughing as you go, just remember, the last laugh is on you, and always look on the bright side of life!
Posts: 3,401
HolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli