Thread: U.S. Issues In defense of unions.
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #63
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $23884
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
To your latter points... do unions fight inequality? Yes. They serve an important element in today's society. Absolute power corrupts absolutely and we don't want to go back to the days where corporate barons were stripping workers of their basic rights.

Here's where you're wrong. Private sectors have functioned fine without unions. You are overstating the problem. Every corporation I have worked for offers a great benefits package and it's more difficult to get fired than you think because of all the paperwork/procedures. Most importantly, most corporations know that the cost to hire a new worker is a shitload more expensive than the cost to keep one. So most companies invest in people, whether that's training, morale events, engagement studies, etc.... The problem in the private sector isn't about the middle class or poor being unhappy, it's that there aren't enough jobs. Arguably, that means the same people are being bogged down with more work, but what I've found is that in most cases, the motivated ones are the ones who pick up that work while the less motivated ones clock in/clock out as if nothing has changed. Which is fine, because the motivated ones are the ones who get rewarded with promotions and bonuses.

Your first point couldn't be more wrong. I don't know how you could possibly make the argument that unions promote harder work and innovation. I would never work for the public sector. I am a hard worker and don't want to hear people bitch about me working beyond a 40 hour work week. Sorry. If I need to work 60-80 hour work weeks, I will. Also, I worked for a brief period in the public sector and consulted with their employees. They are unbelievably unmotivated because there's no career advancement and no reward for good work. Why? Because the unions fight for shitty workers to get disproportionate raises (and useless workers to get paid for doing nothing), which means there's less bonus money for the good ones. Because there's no advancement because are a bunch of shitty workers who are levels above you simply because they have tenure. In the private sector, when I work hard, I'm rewarded with promotions and bonuses. Those are both linked to my performance, which is measured quarterly and yearly ad nauseum. I have a career track where I can move around the company. Just because 1% of executives have compensation that's not always well aligned with performance doesn't mean that the other 99% aren't. And talk to any teacher and ask them how they feel innovation. HOw in the world can you innovate when you get yelled at if you go off a specifically designed curriculum designed by the union?
As usual, a thought-provoking and well considered post, zilla. Rep.

I'm glad you've worked for a good number of great companies, but they're great for a reason... I hardly need to tell you there are a ton of companies that treat their employees like shit, and as you've admitted, unions are effective way to mitigate that to a degree. Coal companies are like the #1 example of this.

Your last paragraph is dead on, as usual. But these are problems that can ostensibly be reformed without having to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I'm not arguing that unions are infallible. I'm arguing that they're vital and need to be preserved and reformed.
__________________
Posts: 46,873
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote