Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan
If you have Smith you can afford to take a guy like Bray or maybe somebody else in the third or fourth that needs more seasoning. We probably wouldn't have to give up our first overall for him so we could draft Star or Teo and kill two birds with one shot.
Have I sold you yet?
1) Tyler Bray won't last until the 3rd or 4th round. Some (soon to be sorry) team is going to spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on him.
2) By trading for Smith, you give up at least a 2nd or 3rd round pick (possibly both) and give up the opportunity to snag a quality player who is cheaper and younger.
3) The gap between Star Lutuli and Jon Hankins, Sheldon Richardson, Shariff Floyd, John Jenkins, Jesse Williams is no bigger than the gap between Geno Smith and Glennon, Barkley, etc. In fact, it's probably smaller.
4) Manti Te'o plays a non-impact position, is a below-average NFL athlete, and provides very little OVER the ILBs available in rounds 2-4.
5) Alex Smith just isn't that good. (Look at QB rating, and the way his coach regards him).
So, no, I am not sold.