Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan
Lot of stuff on this subject. Again, I don't pretend to be an expert but let me offer this.
The beautiful thing about believing in God is that you dont have to have proof to know that he exists.
You are right, the Bible was written by men...yet it is the word of God. Men such as prophets and priests and saints are less men than channels that allow God to reach the rest of us. The dictionary is also just words, and yet it defines every word in the English language...
God makes his actions through people, and those people's actions are God. Moses did all of his work in Egypt for and by God. Without God, the chosen people would have remained slaves. Noah built the ark as a result of God's will. God did not want humans to go extinct, so he acted through Noah and his family.
People quote the Holy Bible because they respect its wisdom. Even if one does not believe in God, they cannot deny that the Bible lays down wonderful moral guidelines.
The proof of God is shown individually by God. Everyone has their own experiences that proves to them that God is watching over them. If you have not had your experience yet, do not despair. It will always come to those who are truely devoted to Him. And He is always ready toa ccept those who do not follow Him, whenever they decide to turn to Him for guidence.
What I have come to know from this is that God has a plan for each of our lives. We should seek him and ask for his wisdom and guidance.
It appears that we all choose/refuse to believe something.
These are so demonstrably stupid it could take an entire day to respond to adequately. So I will make no attempt to. Instead I shall take a few minutes whilst I wait for some astro images to download to briefly reply.
1) So its beautiful to believe in things for which there is no proof. Well I believe in pink pixies that live in my dirty clothes hamper. That is beautiful.
2) So why does god always meet with his "prophets" on mountaintops? Why do they get inside info directly from the big guy (and always in private) and I don't even get a freaking text?
3) So Hitlers actions are god. Nice to know. Also why did it take "god" 40 years to get Moses through the Sinai peninsula? I could walk it in a week tops. Even with a bum knee. If "god" wanted to wipe out all life but noah and his family (and assorted bugs and such on the boat) why didn't he just do it?
Why the whole stupid flood? Seems like unnecessary suffering for animals and innocents when he could have just snapped his fingers and made it so. (and saved 39.9 days in the process)
4)The morality of the bible is horrific. Slaves, beatings, stonings, animal and human sacrifice, genocide, tearing families apart, murder of innocents are just a few you choose to "overlook".
5) EVERY religion makes the same claim to be in touch with "god". the reason? Because there is no god, its your inner mind, you are answering yourself as god. Indians used peyote and fasting, some religions pray, some chant but ALL of them report the exact same "experience".
6) No you are in charge of your own life and affairs. Stop giving credit to god and take it yourself. You are the one to succeed or fail, give yourself praise or admonishment.
Can't believe I wasted my time with that.