Thread: Economics The Debt Ceiling Approacheth
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #100
FD FD is offline
Veteran
 
FD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Casino cash: $8391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
I have read today that the White House and the Treasury have rejected the $1 trillion coin strategy.

Rightly, in my opinion.

The White House has also claimed to reject (a.) negotiating over the debt ceiling, and (b.) raising the debt ceiling unilaterally via the 14th amendment.

So, that leaves us at an impasse.

I put the likelihood of a government shutdown at 50%, a White House unilateral move at 45%, and the odds we strike a deal at 5%.
Failing to raise the debt ceiling wouldn't cause a government shutdown, at least not how we traditionally use that term. It would cause a catastrophic default and massive recession. While most Republicans in the House do seem to find this option acceptable, there is no way Boehner does. In the end, I think he will blink.
__________________
Homer: [looking at watch] Two hours? Why'd they build this ghost town so far away?
Lisa: Because they discovered gold over there!
Homer: It's because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everybody does everything.
Posts: 3,598
FD 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliFD 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliFD 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliFD 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliFD 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliFD 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliFD 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliFD 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliFD 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliFD 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliFD 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
  Reply With Quote